FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
I don't have enough space and much money to buy expensive and over the top grow lights. I also don't know much about them and would like to have a small grow lighting system to start with. Since winter is coming, I need a spot for some of my plants that I need to grow indoors until spring.

In Amazon, here's the grow light that I was considering. Is this a good light source for my plants and keep them warm/healthy? https://www.amazon.com/Fauna-Spectrum-D ... 6217854163

My plants that I'll have for this grow light btw are: 3 small succulents, a pony tail palm, a lemon balm, and my nepenthes ventrata.
By ChefDean
I don't know much about succulents, so I can't say for that one.
The Pony Tail is a houseplant, so bright, indirect light should be enough for it.
The ventrata, hang it in front of an east facing window and it will be fine.
The Lemon Balm is generally an outdoor garden perennial, so a winter dormancy might be more beneficial in the long run.
By septembersapphire21
ChefDean wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:37 pm I don't know much about succulents, so I can't say for that one.
The Pony Tail is a houseplant, so bright, indirect light should be enough for it.
The ventrata, hang it in front of an east facing window and it will be fine.
The Lemon Balm is generally an outdoor garden perennial, so a winter dormancy might be more beneficial in the long run.
I'm learning about succulents too, the three I have were rescued from my work in which they were about to be thrown away. I'll keep my pony tail and Ventrata at the bay window, it faces east. And I never thought my lemon balm would be a perennial, idk how to put it in dormancy. I'll have to do research on that then. Thanks for replying!
By septembersapphire21
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 pm it would depend on the type of succulents, some succulents like sempervivums are cold hardy. Most would do fine under growlights.
Idk what kind my succulents are. They are small though. Two are both light greenish and kinda looked like a mexican snowball, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct on that, and the other is a darker green with pinkish tips on the leaves. Over the weekend I'll do some googling to figure out what they are. Thanks for replying!
By ChefDean
septembersapphire21 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:20 pmI never thought my lemon balm would be a perennial, idk how to put it in dormancy. I'll have to do research on that then. Thanks for replying!
We've always grown ours outdoors in the ground, and it comes back like a spider monkey each spring.
By septembersapphire21
ChefDean wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:56 pm
septembersapphire21 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:20 pmI never thought my lemon balm would be a perennial, idk how to put it in dormancy. I'll have to do research on that then. Thanks for replying!
We've always grown ours outdoors in the ground, and it comes back like a spider monkey each spring.
Wow that's amazing!
By specialkayme
I don't have those exact lights, but I've used similar ones (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV ... UTF8&psc=1 in case you were wondering). I had space constraints. I use it on a fishbowl style terrarium I have in my office.

I would not recommend these types of lights. They put off very little light. I need to keep the plants literally inches away from the light bulb or they'll stretch. I wouldn't put more than one, maybe two plants under one of these types of lights.

I would highly recommend you get a Par38 GE bulb instead (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN ... =UTF8&th=1). Should still be in your price range, and fits any standard light bulb socket. The light is awesome. Can easily light up a 2'x2' space and provide sufficient light to a variety of plants. I got it for a nepenthes sanguinea I acquired (first nepenthes). I thought it would be as powerful as one of those cheap LEDs so I put it about 6" away from the plant, and it burned it, lol. You need to keep the bulb about 2-4' away from the plants, but it gives you more options.

Good luck!
By septembersapphire21
specialkayme wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:51 pm I don't have those exact lights, but I've used similar ones (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV ... UTF8&psc=1 in case you were wondering). I had space constraints. I use it on a fishbowl style terrarium I have in my office.

I would not recommend these types of lights. They put off very little light. I need to keep the plants literally inches away from the light bulb or they'll stretch. I wouldn't put more than one, maybe two plants under one of these types of lights.

I would highly recommend you get a Par38 GE bulb instead (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN ... =UTF8&th=1). Should still be in your price range, and fits any standard light bulb socket. The light is awesome. Can easily light up a 2'x2' space and provide sufficient light to a variety of plants. I got it for a nepenthes sanguinea I acquired (first nepenthes). I thought it would be as powerful as one of those cheap LEDs so I put it about 6" away from the plant, and it burned it, lol. You need to keep the bulb about 2-4' away from the plants, but it gives you more options.

Good luck!
Thanks! I'll look into this light bulb when it seems like I do need it. It does looks like it'll do the trick.
specialkayme liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!