FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By bcavanau
So, now that I have more space...I started to order more plants :)

I have the following pinguicula on the way. Seller suggested a soil mix of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite (60,20,20). And to use the tray method, same as dionaea/sarracenia.

P. caerulea
P. lutea
P. planifolia
P. primuliflora

I notice everyone in the world has a different soil mix/recommendation...anyone care to chime in?

Any tips, tricks, etc....these will be my first pings.

Thanks
By ChefDean
The only suggestion I would offer is one against vermiculite. It tends to break down into mush quicker than other products. I would probably just go with a 3:1 peat:perlite. If you have some older sphagnum that still has some life, you could go with a 3:1:1 peat:perlite:sphagnum.
MaxVft liked this
By bcavanau
ChefDean wrote:The only suggest would offer is one against vermiculite. It tends to break down into mush quicker than other products. I would probably just go with a 3:1 peat:perlite. If you have some older sphagnum that still has some life, you could go with a 3:1:1 peat:perlite:sphagnum.
I have a bale of NZ Sphagnum moss...just chop it up like I did for my nep mix?
By NightRaider
I will say probably don't overdo it on the LFS though if you use any. I planted my pings from Lee's in the LFS topdressing of one of my planters to see what would happen, and none of the caerulea made it while the others (primulifolia and planifolia) have been growing but clearly riding the struggle bus. Am a little interested to see any suggested mixes though, since I was planning on trying peat/sand in their own tray with a new batch next spring.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!