FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I've got a small collection of carnivorous plants that I'm planning on moving under the same grow light setup I have indoors over the winter. Right now, I have a nepenthes ventrata, a pinguicula cyclosecta, and a pinguicula gigantea under the Yescom grow panel, and I have a cape sundew and a spatulata outside that I'm planning on taking indoors when it gets cold.

My question is, do the pinguicula both need a dormancy, and if so, how do I induce it under grow lights? Also, because I'm going to have all these other plants under the same grow lights, is it alright if I change the photoperiod so they're all under reduced hours as well? Currently have it set to 14 hours a day.

My setup:

By jeff
pings need dormancy in my opinion, in fact I base them on their growing condition in the wild.
For my part I think that the light may have an effect on dormancy, but for me the most important is the respect of watering which in fact counts in nature Dry season from November to May; Rainy seasons from (April-May) June to October and of course the temperature for dormancy always between 5 ° c and 10-15 ° c
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
jeff wrote:pings need dormancy in my opinion, in fact I base them on their growing condition in the wild.
For my part I think that the light may have an effect on dormancy, but for me the most important is the respect of watering which in fact counts in nature Dry season from November to May; Rainy seasons from (April-May) June to October and of course the temperature for dormancy always between 5 ° c and 10-15 ° c
Got it. Do I just not water the plant during the dormancy season to induce the dormancy leaves to come out?
By jeff
For my part, I bring in all my Mexican ping, which is outside at the moment, around October 15, in a bright room with temperatures of 10-18 ° C, dry for all the filiforms and with a barely damp substrate, to avoid desiccation, for others.

the problem with peat-based substrates is precisely desiccation, so always have a barely damp substrate to avoid this
Nikson liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!