FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By AlienGreenSoul
Just beginning to get into growing carnivores my first plant is going to be a my question is on soil mix I was going to make up a mixture of 1 part perlite 1 part coarse sand my question is could I use coco coir in place of peat moss or if I should just go with the 1 part peat moss and also should I mix in 1 part vermiculite thanks for your time
By Supercazzola
From the awesome book, The Savage Garden, by Peter D’Amato (which I highly recommended to everyone):
Mexican and tropical species have done best for me in equal parts sand, perlite, and lava rock and/ or pumice, plus one part peat. Some growers add dolomite or gypsum to this; I have not found it necessary, although some gypsum helps with P. gypsicola. Some Mexican butterworts are also quite happy in looser, more airy soils. At California Carnivores we have some P. moranensis, P. laueana, and hybrids like P. ‘Sethos’ and ‘Weser’ thriving among our tropical Nepenthes pitcher plants in soils of long-fibered sphagnum, orchid bark, perlite, and tree-fern fiber.
AlienGreenSoul liked this
By AlienGreenSoul
AlienGreenSoul wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 am Just beginning to get into growing carnivores my first plant is going to be the Mexican Butterwort my question is on soil mix I was going to make up a mixture of 1 part perlite 1 part coarse sand my question is could I use coco coir in place of peat moss or if I should just go with the 1 part peat moss and also should I mix in 1 part vermiculite thanks for your time
By Huntsmanshorn
If you want to sub out the peat for coco coir that should work okay but you have to wash the coir really well to get out any and all the salt that it might contain. Failure to wash sufficiently will likely cost you your plants so go carefully. As to the vermiculite question, I wouldn't, but I doubt it would hurt anything, so I guess it's grower's choice.
By ChefDean
Granted I only have one Ping, but I've always had mine in a 1:1 mix of peat:perlite, and it's done well. Divided a couple of times, and all leaf pulls except one have struck in that mixture. Stay away from vermiculite, it turns to mush.
Now, this works for me, but might be an easy and cheap jumping off point to see what might work for you.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!