FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By FruitFlyKiller1337
Hi guys!
I was going to repot my baby Mexican Butterwort (Pinguicula moranensis), but accidentally ripped like 99% of all the roots and I'm nervous it's dying right now. Pic related is what it's looking like (after a week that I ripped off the roots). :(
Image https://ibb.co/prdJ4gD *if image doesn't show
Image https://ibb.co/VtTWbhk **if image doesn't show
In the original pot (the tiny cube I was sent on Ebay), it was starting to become very dense so I put it in a much bigger one. My guess it got root rot in the tiny cube and when I tried to move it out, it cut off.

Is it going to be okay? I will probably water it once a week around the small plant. But its leaves are curling and has some browning here and there. It's very expensive so I hope not.
By Supercazzola
I typically grow my pings in a mix that isn’t long fiber Sphagnum moss.
Your media looks too wet for pings. But again, I can only talk from my experience with them in a rocky substrate.

To quote the book The Savage Garden “Mexican and tropical species have done best for me in equal parts sand, perlite, and lava rock and/or pumice, plus one part peat.”
By FruitFlyKiller1337
ooo thanks! I water it until the Sphagnum moss is spongy, then I leave it out until it dries up. Hope I'm not overwatering it or anything.
So do I replace the ping on some rocky substrate instead? Like some sand/perlite mix? Hopefully the roots grow back.
Transaction with Secretariat73

What the heck did the USPS do to that box??? :shoc[…]

They're all tropical or subtropical, mostly differ[…]

I have not sold any of the 1st 3 plants listed. Th[…]

Fantastic!!! Glad you were successful *and* glad […]

Are you a fellow Michigander? I’m in Roches[…]

1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!