FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By porpoise223
Hey all, I have two P. Aphrodite which I got from SNW a few months back. A few weeks ago, I noticed some browning at the leaf tips of the smaller of the two plants, which eventually also started happening on the larger plant, I hadn't made any real changes to the grow space aside from changing brands of distilled water so I'm not too sure what caused it, they're grown in my closet under a 60w LED Shop light + a 32w LED Blurple grow light, I have a small but somewhat strong fan a few feet away from them which is directed towards them at the lowest setting. (is it possible this is too much airflow for them?) The soil is never allowed to dry out completely, but I do let the tray dry up time to time, most of the time the tray has anywhere from 1cm-1in of water in it but never more. This setup worked well for a while, and even got my D. Spatulata to flower. Could this be a humidity issue?

I noticed the browning/crisping started not at the crown, but on the leaves just outside of the crown, and eventually the newer growth was crisp too, although I haven't noticed any crisping on the crown (that I can tell?) tips of the outer-most leaves and none at the . I've given the leaves a slight pull and they're still pretty sturdy, and they're producing dew, but it seems like a lot less than before.

these are my only pings, so I'm really trying to help them pull through! Any tips or advice is much appreciated!

photo from today
image0.jpg
image0.jpg (494.71 KiB) Viewed 6606 times

photo from a month or so ago
1112222.jpg
1112222.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 6606 times
By hungrycarnivores
Looks cosmetic. Aphrodite is a thinner-leafed ping; filiform pings are some of the tougher ones to keep. Moctezumae is the father of this cross, and I have always had trouble with it. Seems to like high humidity but needs high light, and appreciates water. That said, that is just for keeping a nice specimen. At the moment, if you can raise humidity and watering that'd be great, but if not, there is not a problem with it, lots of leaf is left to photosynthesize still.
By porpoise223
Do you think that the lights are too hot? They're both LED so they don't emit a lot of heat, and about 14in or so away from the plants. Or could it be too much light? I have them on a cycle of 16/8 right now, I was considering switching it to 14/10, do you think that's a good idea?

What are some good ways to increase humidity? Just today I put them in a seedling dome with the top half of the dome angled half open for airflow, will this increase the humidity? Also, would moving the fan further away and directing it away from the plants increase the humidity? I just worry about root rot!

thanks for the reply, its much appreciated.
By Carnies
I think it is too much light. You could probably get a good plastic box with a lid and stick the pings in there. I think the seedling dome should be good. Just spray a few times a day. Nice ping you got there too!
By hungrycarnivores
porpoise223 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:02 pm Do you think that the lights are too hot? They're both LED so they don't emit a lot of heat, and about 14in or so away from the plants. Or could it be too much light? I have them on a cycle of 16/8 right now, I was considering switching it to 14/10, do you think that's a good idea?

What are some good ways to increase humidity? Just today I put them in a seedling dome with the top half of the dome angled half open for airflow, will this increase the humidity? Also, would moving the fan further away and directing it away from the plants increase the humidity? I just worry about root rot!

thanks for the reply, its much appreciated.
Pings having root rot is no issue. Peel off the leaves. Pings' roots are mainly to anchor them in place.

Just watch the crown for rot. Take some pullings just to be sure and have extras on hand.
By porpoise223
Carnies wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:23 pm I think it is too much light. You could probably get a good plastic box with a lid and stick the pings in there. I think the seedling dome should be good. Just spray a few times a day. Nice ping you got there too!
Thank you so much for the help, I'm going to start adjusting to a 14hr light schedule, and I've moved them a few inches further from the light. Additionally, I have the clear dome hanging over the tray with an aprox. 1inch gap in between the tray and dome as I didn't want to shock it with too much humidity, do you think I should eventually close the humidity dome entirely?

once again, thank you so much for the help :)
By Carnies
No problem, as I said, I'm not a ping expert but I guess I learned from my mistakes. Yes, you should probably start to close the dome completely and open it for airflow a few times a day to prevent your plants from cooking in there and rotting.
By tommyr
It MAY be from too much light but they do like bright light. I'll add that aphrodite leaf pullings are VERY easy to start new plants from. It's almost ridiculous. I lay them on wet paper towel in a clear contaner and place in a bright window. They start making babies in about 3-4 weeks.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!