FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Marcos Alexandre
Hello, dear friends.

I have been growing orchids for a long time, but not with the necessity dedication. They have thrived a lot and given me wonderful flower for many years. But the last two months were terrible, and I don’t know why many of them hade gotten brown and dyed. Maybe the problema is quite an excess of water, but I really don’t know. Please take a look at the pics and give some tips I could use to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Marcos Alexandre

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
By That one plant boi
The surrounding are does look pretty moist, and the medium some of the plants are growing in looks too dense for these orchid types.
What are the other growing conditions like?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Marcos Alexandre
Most of them are in conditions similar to the one seen on the first picture. There are only two in a more dense growing media. They were bought this way and I didn’t changed it.

By DragonsEye
Have you ever changed it? That media does look far too dense. If you have had the plants shown for more than a couple of years without ever repotting, then the media has likely broken down to the point of being more like soil -- something that will kill most orchids quickly. If you are in a wet, humid climate, then you may need to change the media every 6 months and should use a very coarse media. A few of the plants are too far gone with a fungal rot.
By Marcos Alexandre
Thanks for the tips, friends. I’ll take some time to repot them and change the media.

By Marcos Alexandre
Hi, everybody.

I changed the pots and media, and divided the rhizome of the bigger one into tow parts.

Unfortunately the second part ended up with no roots at all. I and to fix it with a wire.

And these are the other two that were in bad conditions:

The sun is on them, but it’s for a very short time, because the space through witch the sun passes is vary narrow.

Thanks a lot. Any more tips?

Regards,

Marcos

By Dionae
I water my orchids once every 10 or so days except for my paphiopedilums. I water my paphs every 3 or 4 days. Fertilize them lightly everytime you water them for strong root growth and all around health. You want to make sure there is plenty of run off each time you water to avoid salt build up. I would change out their media every couple of years and always replant them immediately if bought from a store because most of the time theyre growing in long fiber sphagnum packed way too tight.
Matt liked this
By Marcos Alexandre
Any suggestion on fertilization? Here I have osmocote 15-00-12. And NPK 04-14-08.

And I also have these Image

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!