FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Darlingtoniafan222
I'm planning to order a complex paph and a monniera millenium magic witchcraft (a.k.a the black orchid), but it's from another province in the philippines (which is where I live). But the shipping they're using is in constant delays. I really love to see a paph flower, because I've never had one in bloom in my life, but would it be safe to buy one in bloom (due to the delivery delays that may occur), or should I buy one in bud. I heard they only bloom once a year, so I really want to see it.
By evenwind
When I want to get maximum time with a flower, I request a plant in "low bud" meaning a very short stem (maybe under 2") below the bud. That way, you know the plant is flowering but the stem is short enough that it's unlikely to be damaged during transit. You'll be able to enjoy the coming flower for as long as it lives. I've never been happy with getting a plant that already has a flower. The flower typically arrives a bit beaten up and you don't know how old the flower is - it might be ready to die, even with the best of care.
By DragonsEye
I concur with Everwind .... low bud.
Darlingtoniafan222 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:18 am So order one with a low bud? Even with shipping delay the bud won't abort?
Is there a risk of aborting? Yes. There always is when a plant is in bud or spiking. However, plants in full flower often have buds broken off or damaged and the stress of shipping can reduce the flowers lifespan.
By Darlingtoniafan222
So 2 inches should work to keep it somewhat safe. Would you suggest extra cotton or soft paper to protect it?
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!