FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DeadlyCarnivore
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Submerging it for a few minutes will kill all of them I believe. D. Hookeri is tuberous so if you want to repot don’t repot it now, do it when it’s dormant.
Okay, I will try that, thank you. :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Benny
Submerging drosera in water does not work too well (pest control wise), as they have a tendency to trap air in the leaves, allowing some bugs to live.

If you are going to submerge it, though, then I would do it for longer than a few minutes just to be safe.

Good luck!
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Kumie Trap
WTF is this!?! Been trying to Identify it.. if I try to pull it of it seemingly will rip/ damage the new trap..
By ChefDean
Kumie Trap wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:58 am WTF is this!?! Been trying to Identify it.. if I try to pull it of it seemingly will rip/ damage the new trap..
Can't tell, pic won't load.
By Kumie Trap
Shucks Thank You for letting me know I will try to post a new photo, I was able to remove it with minimal damage- Best I can describe it was a black pyramid shaped barnacle with a white dot in the center that was attached very well to the outside of a new unopened trap
By davinstewart
I have grey squirrels in my area (North Carolina) and have many years of dealing with them. I've found that mostly they focus on digging up my plants while looking for soil that's easy digging as a place to store their nuts.

Here are some of the methods I've found to control these micro devils:
  • cut down all the oak trees on and around your property (hey, it's an option)
  • put a layer of lava rock in your pots (no promises on how it'll effect your plants though). Squirrels seem to hate digging in this stuff.
  • physical prevention such as wrapping your pots or growing area with fencing with at most 1" openings. I reccommend using plastic coated chicken wire since the uncoated stuff is more visually distracting e.g. Garden Craft 24 in. H X 25 ft. L Steel Poultry Netting 1 in.
This seems to be the most effective solution but is visually distracting.
By Intheswamp
davinstewart wrote:I have grey squirrels in my area (North Carolina) and have many years of dealing with them. I've found that mostly they focus on digging up my plants while looking for soil that's easy digging as a place to store their nuts.

Here are some of the methods I've found to control these micro devils:
  • cut down all the oak trees on and around your property (hey, it's an option)
  • put a layer of lava rock in your pots (no promises on how it'll effect your plants though). Squirrels seem to hate digging in this stuff.
  • physical prevention such as wrapping your pots or growing area with fencing with at most 1" openings. I reccommend using plastic coated chicken wire since the uncoated stuff is more visually distracting e.g. Garden Craft 24 in. H X 25 ft. L Steel Poultry Netting 1 in.
This seems to be the most effective solution but is visually distracting.
Other methods include:
  • Squirrel stew
  • Fried squirrel
  • Squirrels, smothered in gravy
  • Grilled squirrel (I've never really tried this but most things are better on the grill...just sayin')
Of course this applies to people in rural areas (mostly). Gun shots in the city are not the issue, but not sure I'd wanta eat the tree rats from there...no tellin' what they may have been grazin' on! ;)
By sans
Any of you guys have ant as pests? they will drill holes into your traps to extract the food you put in.
By Intheswamp
In the last decade or so we've really been hit by Argentine ants around here. They don't really sting, but will bite if mashed between the fold of your arm or between your shirt or skin. The problem is their numbers are massive and in a vegetable garden cause big problems because they farm aphids on a Texas-size scale.<sigh>

Wallyworld and other places sell a gallon jug of "Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer". Spraying the legs of tables or the sides of pots does a really good job for me at keeping the ants away. It seems to last through a couple of rains, too. I started putting some potted vegetables on foam pads and spraying the pads...worked great, too! Naturally, it'll also keep other insects from crawling up the legs/pot sides. Not exactly an organic approach, but invasive ants aren't organic...they're evil aliens! :twisted:

ETA: I get the jug with the battery-operated sprayer. It works well for me. In the past when I've ran out I got a jug with the manual pump and just switched the battery pump over to the new jug (the manual pump jug is cheaper ;) ).
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:04 pm As I understand it, squirrel added to jambalaya is excellent.
I had a good friend who had a good friend from somewhere in the delta of Louisiana. Well, my friend's friend's daddy pass away and they were having dinner after the funeral. Jambalaya was one of the courses....my friend was told not to scrape the bottom of the pot with the ladle (for fear of what he might find). :mrgreen: Also, the preacher, when asked during the meal if he wanted some hot sauce, declined the offered hot sauce and responded, "I only use Louisiana!" and promptly brought out a small bottle of Louisiana hot sauce from his inside coat pocket!!! A man after my own heart!!!! :D
By evenwind
Intheswamp wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:05 pm They don't really sting, but will bite if mashed between the fold of your arm or between your shirt or skin.
Probably better to mash them between two rocks. Just sayin'
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!