FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bob Beer
I’ve been so busy with a move, and work, and moving/setting up a new garden that I haven’t been able to keep up with all the social media. Not entirely a bad thing :-) But I wanted to share a cross I did last year that is now maturing and flowering. It’s [laueana x moranensis ‘Vera Paz’] x laueana. It’s the first time I’ve tried a backcross and it’s been really fun to see the variation among the siblings. Here is the first to bloom:

The next to come into bud was this all-pink cutie:

I think it’s going to be named ‘Sangria,’ unless someone thinks of something better. :-)

The color is hard to get right. Above is daylight, below is the same plant under a 5000K LED tube.

There are a couple more budding now. I love the pointed leaves and red edges on this one:

There are also several similar and lighter siblings like this:

I’m also waiting on one that is much darker red, but it’s not showing any buds yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tommyr, Berrybob, MikeB liked this
By Bob Beer
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Those looks really good, especially the first one.
I like the flower of the first one a little better. Though the magenta on pink of the second is just so garish that I love it. :-) I like the leaves on the third one best, and there are a couple more pointy red-edged leaf siblings as well. I’d kind of like to redo this hybrid with a “mega red leaf” lau that is finally blooming for the first time.

By Apollyon
That is an awesome cross. Just curious, can you cross complex hybrids such as a pirouette? I've been dabbling in crossing these as the flowers come up but the pollen on the pirouette was pretty hard and it didn't really take pollen well either. I was just wondering if it was an error or if it's a chromosome thing.
By Bob Beer
Apollyon wrote:That is an awesome cross. Just curious, can you cross complex hybrids such as a pirouette? I've been dabbling in crossing these as the flowers come up but the pollen on the pirouette was pretty hard and it didn't really take pollen well either. I was just wondering if it was an error or if it's a chromosome thing.
Some hybrids are fertile and some aren’t. I don’t think ‘Pirouette’ is. ‘Weser’ and ‘Sethos’ are. This one seems to be; I did get fertilization on that first flower (fertilized with ANPA C), but only a very few seeds looked viable. But this is a back cross so only two actual species are involved. So the short answer seems to be “it depends.” But certainly it isn’t as free and open as with Sarracenias. Maybe you can take it farther within groups, like crosses between agnata/Ibarrae/pilosa/martinezii. ?

By Bob Beer
jeff wrote:although I don't really like hybrids
great success BOB ;)
Merci!

By madrone
Tres cool! Thank you for sharing your efforts - so interesting to see the variety/variability!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!