FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By Nepenthes0260
A bit too big of an appetite.

Pic I took a while ago of one of my "dumpy frogs" (Litoria caerulea) inside the mouth of Heliamphora tatei (Duida) x pulchella (Amuri). No frogs were harmed in the making of this photo :lol:.
Attachments:
image1 (54).jpeg
image1 (54).jpeg (136.17 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
Lyra, Panman, BullwinkleII and 5 others liked this
By Apollyon
I have never seen so many frogs as I have when I started growing carnivorous plants. They love the environment. I have a resident frog who enjoys chilling under my binata leaves lol. Built himself a den and I saw tadpoles swimming in the water trays. CPs are like a frog hotel. Food, lodging, and necessities all in one stop.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Tell me about it! Frogs love CPs. This year I had a ton of tadpoles in my sarr pools. Plus, they somehow found a way into the greenhouse so have been hiding out in my orchid baskets all year long.
By Apollyon
Haha. Out of curiosity, what species of Sarrs are you tray watering? Also what kind of soil mix?
I don't have a greenhouse but Florida is nature's greenhouse most of the year. I have been hesitant to tray water them but I have a bunch of them now lol. I'd love to tray water them but I tried it on a judith hindle and the growth seemed like it was warped from it. It grew normally after I took it out, don't know what caused it. Personally I'm using a 60/40 sand/peat mix and have perlite for added drainage. I top water them regularly because I have a few types that apparently don't do bottom watering well.

I talked to Mike Wang about it and he talked about punching holes at a certain level of the water tray and filling it up like a quarter to half an inch. It'd save a lot of time so I'm trying to figure it out.
By Nepenthes0260
I grow all my sarrs in baby pools in about 2" of water. They're in 6+" tall "gallon" pots. My mix is about 1:1 peat : perlite, with a tad more perlite for the leucos. Since they're sitting in water, I also need to change out the soil more often, about once every two years.

I punch holes in the side of the pools so excess water from rain can overflow. Seems to work well for me!
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Thanks for the info! I grow mine in similar pots, about 8 fit to a 1020 tray but I keep them in trays with holes. Sounds like the drainage I have will work out. Perhaps I'll try again in the spring when it'll evaporate in a day or two. Break out my old soldering iron :lol: I'm really looking forward to seeing these things in their real glory next year. Most of their acclimation was during peak/tail end of their growing cycles. Only my Alatas and a couple stray leucos are growing right now but it appears that "spurt" is wrapping up.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Panman
With just over 1 week left to the November contest here are the rankings:
Code: Select all
Shadowtski		11
Slircric78		10
Wahter			9
A65hoosier		7
Leathal_Traps		7
Murrkywaters		6
Apollyon		5
Lyra			5
ChefDean		4
Poppy01			4
Nepenthes0260		4
That one plant boi	3
Optique			3
GreenOhio		3
Drojan133		3
BullwinleII		3
VFTNoob			2
Berrybob		2
Chomato			2
Duccio			1
A couple of people (including yours truly) have been disqualified for submitting multiple entries. but we appreciate your contributions. There is still time to get your photo submitted and voted on. Be sure to vote for your favorite by clicking the like button. Don't forget, a DC XL is up for grabs!
uxleumas, slicric78 liked this
By BullwinkleII
VFTNoob wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:35 pm Baby flytrap eating an ant!

http://imgur.com/gallery/PtZ3Qnd
Baby flytrap! What a great idea for the next photo comp! (it's possible that I have recently taken a photo of a baby flytrap :) )
Matt liked this
By Panman
The babies category is coming up, but I've got something special (I hope) planned for December. Perhaps babies in spring?
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Panman
Time is up and we have a winner!

@Shadowski, you are the winner! PM me for details on how to claim your prize.

Thank you for everyone who participated. I really enjoy seeing everyone's plants. Stay tuned for this month's photo contest, the December Holiday Extravaganza. More on that to come soon, but you aren't going to want to miss it.
BullwinkleII liked this
By Panman
Shadowski reached out to me and said he has enough plants (crazy, right?) and would like to pass the prize along to the next in line.

So @Slicric78, you are the winner!

PM me for your details on how to collect your prize.

I want to add that I appreciate Shadowski participating and sharing that awesome pic with us. That is what these contests are about. The prizes are great but the best part is seeing what everyone else has.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!