FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Z_Y
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Light is extremely intense, under CobKits LEDs. The CobKits are about 15" away from the plants themselves, but are definitely powerful enough to get good coloring.
Do you have a bit more information on these lights? Such as the wattage or amount of LED modules you are using? Unless I searched wrong, I see that the cob leds are discrete LED units that you had to mount yourself? I want to see how to change my distance/wattage to match your conditions.

The soil conditions seem similar to mine. I've always wondered if excess peat would change growth coloration due to the pH levels, but I haven't seen any difference between 0-peat cuttings vs peat-heavy cuttings. Actually, the pots with just pure sphagnum/perlite are now my favorite since I can easily tell how dry the pots are. The peat/sandy pots are always kind of heavy so it's hard to judge just by holding the pot if it's dry.
Apollyon wrote:which from looking at yours and its medium makes me wonder if it was the same guy
It definitely is! I'm not sure but did he have a 3rd pot? So maybe there's a 3rd person here with the same plant that we can compare with? Mine also came like super-green, but colored up real fast under my lights. However, at least for my other cephs, I find that older pitchers grown under different lighting never color up fully or color up the same, so I'm looking forward to more new ones that sprout under my care.

I think I have a second growth point buried under the main one in mine, but I'm too scared to try dividing anything at the moment. I usually repot all my plants, even cephs, but for this one (and a couple other large rare clones) I just left it in the original pot.
By Nepenthes0260
The Cobs can go up to 250 watts, but I don't want to push them too hard so have them each set to about 75. Yes, I did have to mount them myself. The sides of my setup are reflective, so the light hits all sides of the pitcher to make it color up well. Here's a thread I made a while ago on this setup when I was still using it for helis- new-hl-setup-t43866.html . That gives a bit more info on the CobKits and the setup in general. Now, since I'm using it for cephs, it's not nearly as high humidity though, only about 50%. In my experience, whenever my cephs get too humid they rot and powdery mildew develops. Last winter I had a huge problem with powdery mildew and it made my cephs look absolutely horrible.
IMG_6802.jpg
IMG_6802.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 2859 times
IMG_6806.jpg
IMG_6806.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 2859 times
IMG_6805.jpg
IMG_6805.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 2859 times
IMG_6803.jpg
IMG_6803.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 2859 times
IMG_6804.jpg
IMG_6804.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 2859 times
By Nepenthes0260
I have humidity domes on a couple of those trays because the one I'm just using for very fresh/unrooted ceph divs I took last week from some plants like 'Elizabeth', "Big Boy", "Emu Point", "Bubble Giant", etc. The other humidity dome I have is for growing South American Drosera (they're liking the cool location the cephs are in right now) and a few South African dews (flexicaulis, cuneifolia) which are appreciating the increased humidity as well as cool temps.
By Z_Y
Ah thanks for the info. Your ceph collection is looking real nice too. That's quite the collection!
By Apollyon
That is real impressive. I noticed the Regia right away lol. Maybe someday I'd do something like that if I could find an effective way of cooling it down.

@Z_Y, It probably does have a second growth point under the media. The first pitcher I noticed broke through the moss lol. When I looked through it I realized there were a few coming and there was a second growth point down there. I was so excited man lol. It was doing all of its work underneath.
He did sell another plant to a user on here; Berrybob. He has a thread he started following its progress: a-cp-dream-come-true-t48240.html
By Z_Y
Oh yea, that's probably where I saw it from but I lost track of that thread. Hopefully next summer we can all compare our plants again (and hopefully mine won't be dead by then, haha).
By Nepenthes0260
Apollyon wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:25 am That is real impressive. I noticed the Regia right away lol. Maybe someday I'd do something like that if I could find an effective way of cooling it down.

@Z_Y, It probably does have a second growth point under the media. The first pitcher I noticed broke through the moss lol. When I looked through it I realized there were a few coming and there was a second growth point down there. I was so excited man lol. It was doing all of its work underneath.
He did sell another plant to a user on here; Berrybob. He has a thread he started following its progress: a-cp-dream-come-true-t48240.html
Thanks! That regia is pretty new and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ve finally got the trick down to growing it :lol:. Every other regia I’ve tried has eventually bit the dust after a couple months of struggling.
By Nepenthes0260
Z_Y wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:24 am Ah thanks for the info. Your ceph collection is looking real nice too. That's quite the collection!
No problem, thanks!
By Apollyon
Nepenthes0260 wrote:
Thanks! That regia is pretty new and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ve finally got the trick down to growing it :lol:. Every other regia I’ve tried has eventually bit the dust after a couple months of struggling.
Try using a few osmocote pellets. If your temps arent dangerously low (which they shouldnt be growing cephalotus) it may be a fertilizer issue. They need a lot of nutrients compared to the average Drosera. Also, they don't do well at all in consistent temps over ~83 degrees. The tips will start to go black. I have a gallon nursery like yours and I have about 8 smart release osmocote pellets along the surface of the pot. Even with that, I'm using Maxsea 1/2 tsp. once a week (every other week now that I dropped my photoperiod). That might help your cause.
By Nepenthes0260
Apollyon wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 pm
Nepenthes0260 wrote:
Try using a few osmocote pellets. If your temps arent dangerously low (which they shouldnt be growing cephalotus) it may be a fertilizer issue. They need a lot of nutrients compared to the average Drosera. Also, they don't do well at all in consistent temps over ~83 degrees. The tips will start to go black. I have a gallon nursery like yours and I have about 8 smart release osmocote pellets along the surface of the pot. Even with that, I'm using Maxsea 1/2 tsp. once a week (every other week now that I dropped my photoperiod). That might help your cause.
Will do! I think I’ll probably need a separate water tray for the regia though because I’m afraid of getting some osmoscote water in the Ceph pots.

I’ve heard that they don’t like high temps from a few people. However, the person who I got this one from had them growing outside in Southern CA when temps hit 110 :shock:. They got a bit burnt, but after bringing them inside to cooler temps all of the regia recovered just fine. I think the main issue I had with my previous regia tries was too high of humidity and too little air movement.
By Apollyon
Nepenthes0260 wrote: I’ve heard that they don’t like high temps from a few people. However, the person who I got this one from had them growing outside in Southern CA when temps hit 110 :shock:. They got a bit burnt, but after bringing them inside to cooler temps all of the regia recovered just fine. I think the main issue I had with my previous regia tries was too high of humidity and too little air movement.
That could be. I mean I'm growing mine in 50-60 RH and I have it out in the open under T5s in a water tray. I think they're like cephalotus in that you can have hotter temps provided you have a strong enough dropoff. For me though, I have to bank on cool enough temps in the daytime. My temps are about 77-79 for it and the nights are like 71. Your chamber would probably allow for more flexibility than I have. I had to cater to what I could do. Still though, despite the hassle, it's my favorite sundew.
By Nepenthes0260
Apollyon wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote: I’ve heard that they don’t like high temps from a few people. However, the person who I got this one from had them growing outside in Southern CA when temps hit 110 :shock:. They got a bit burnt, but after bringing them inside to cooler temps all of the regia recovered just fine. I think the main issue I had with my previous regia tries was too high of humidity and too little air movement.
That could be. I mean I'm growing mine in 50-60 RH and I have it out in the open under T5s in a water tray. I think they're like cephalotus in that you can have hotter temps provided you have a strong enough dropoff. For me though, I have to bank on cool enough temps in the daytime. My temps are about 77-79 for it and the nights are like 71. Your chamber would probably allow for more flexibility than I have. I had to cater to what I could do. Still though, despite the hassle, it's my favorite sundew.
Probably so. It seems like a lot of people are saying regia needs high humidity but mine is acclimating just fine even though I never even bagged it. I'm 90% sure high humidity is what killed mine before, especially hearing stories of how they handle 30% humidity just fine.

It's a pretty awesome Drosera! If I could get mine to the massive size that CC or SNW does it would probably be my favorite dew as well.
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!