FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By DesertLlama
Seems like ping rock planters are all the rage right now and I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I was lucky to find this beautiful rock in my front yard. As you can see it's very hole-y so there's plenty of spots to plant in. My guess is that this is a type of limestone judging by the holes but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone is a geology buff, let me know! I have no idea what the wicking properties of this rock are so I put the water line fairly high. I'll adjust accordingly once I see how wet or dry it gets.
20200822_111028_HDR.jpg
20200822_111028_HDR.jpg (3.59 MiB) Viewed 6224 times
20200822_123349_HDR.jpg
20200822_123349_HDR.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 6224 times
I recently purchased a P. laueana and P. kondoi/reticulata. Would they be fine in a well draining mix on this rock? Some of these holes are fairly deep so they're almost like little pots. Also thinking of getting P. rotundiflora as well. I feel like all the shades of red, white, and pink in their flowers would really go well together.
By murrkywaters
An easy test for limestone is to drop some H2SO4 drain cleaner on it. If it fizzes its likely high in carbonate. Weaker acids can be used, but they're far less reliable.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
Ben Goudge wrote:Just be sure to wash it off well afterwards. Sulfuric acid is nasty stuff.
Yeah, I was assuming op would break off a sample. A small drop should be completely consumed leaving behind various sulfates depending on the exact composition of the rock, but I wouldn't risk it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!