FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Hello,

I'm in Atlanta on the border of hardiness zones 7 & 8. I would like to add some Pinguicula to my outdoor bogs. The bogs are outside in full sun all year. In the summer it gets really hot. In the winter, I overwinter them by covering them in a pile of leaves. Any suggestions on what I can add that will handle the exclusively outdoor environment?

Thanks,
John
By Huntsmanshorn
You may be could get Pinguicula grandiflora or P. macroceras to work or you could try the warm temperates from the U.S. P. caerulea, P. ionantha, P. lutea, P. planifolia, P. primulifora, and P. pumila. You might have a little trouble finding some of these and it could be a little warm for grandiflora and marcroceras in your neck of the woods. Then too, you might be a little cold for the rest, and I don't know how any of these will like having leaves piled on them for an entire winter, but I would suggest taking a closer look at them and see if any will fit your needs.
Panman liked this
By twitcher
I'm not in your climate and don't have experience with a number of names I'm about to give, but this list would give a good place to do some research. Keep in mind that some of them may need some degree of shade.

Warm temperate Pinguicula: planifolia, primuliflora, lutea, lusitanica, caerulea, pumula. I'm sure there are a lot of others, but the list is commonly available in the US with some easier to find than others. Primuliflora is very common and easy. It would be a good place to start your research.
By Panman
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 am ... it could be a little warm for grandiflora and marcroceras in your neck of the woods. Then too, you might be a little cold for the rest ...
That was exactly what I was thinking. I think I'll try a couple of temperate ones that are found in NC. I've got a Green Swamp collection going so I may try a P. caerulea or P. lutea or both. Thanks for the advice.
By Panman
twitcher wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:25 am Primuliflora is very common and easy. It would be a good place to start your research.
I will look at that. Thanks for the advice.
By twitcher
Jeff, could you clarify that a bit. I'm not sure what you mean by "fair". Maybe a language issue?

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!