FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cello
so since pinguicula doesnt have long or much roots , does pot size(height or wide) matter?
By Huntsmanshorn
Well, assuming you are avoiding extremes, then in general, Pings don't seem to care much about height or width. Larger pots do provide for a more stable environment though, so do take that into account.
By twitcher
Depending on media and if you use the tray method, pot height can be of significance....Shorter pots and more absorbent media lead to wetter conditions while taller pots and mineral-based media promote drier conditions. Too wet can lead to rot and too dry can kill younger pings and restrict growth. Leaves resting on pot edges can be damaged as well.

I use standard 10 x 20 nursery trays, so prefer pots that neatly fit the tray either 4 across or 3 across. Selection will also depend on if you want 1 plant per pot or multiples.

If you are just starting out, I would not commit to a lot of pots of any particular size. Experiment a bit to evolve your own style and see what works best for your conditions.
By Bob Beer
Many standard sizes like 3” and 4” pots are available in tall and squat types. I prefer the squat ones because with their shallow roots, it can be a waste of medium to fill tall pots. I just keep a lower water level in the trays. The only one I grow in a taller pot is a particular form of zecheri that seems to want things a little drier; with that one the surface stays almost dry and the moisture is maybe a cm or so below the surface. I also use a little less peat in that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!