FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By anansi
Hello I’m new to the hobby and looking to expand my collection. So far I already have DC XL, Fuzzy Tooth, Coquillage, and Royal Red. I know it’s best to acquire a plant of a cultivar instead of trying to grow one from a cross-pollinated seeds, but I’m from the Philippines and logistically it would be impossible to send plants from the US/UK without killing it. Moreso, available cultivars here in the Philippines is very limited.

With that, do you guys have available cross-pollinated VFT cultivar seeds?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By DesertPat
On the contrary, some of the most spectacular VFT specimens are seed-growns...come to think of it, essentially every cultivar started out as a lowly VFT seed at some point before being cloned and having tissue cultures taken. I don't personally have any seeds currently as it is not the season here in the Northern Hemisphere. However, the Flytrap Store has VFT seeds currently for sale, as may various other members here. Growing Dionaea from seed is very rewarding and I would encourage you to do so if you feel ready for such an undertaking, you may produce the next great VFT. Good luck!

Patrick
By anansi
Thank you! Hoping that someday I can also pull a nice looking (potential new cultivar) plant from seeds

By Artchic528
Matt sells flytrap seeds in his store. I don't know for sure if he has any in stock right now, but his seeds are high quality. Just don't go looking for seeds on eBay as most listings are from Chinese sellers and they'll send you seeds from some other plant species. Basically they'll rip you off.

I also recommend looking at the seed bank on here if you're eligible for that. I'm currently growing seedlings from seed I got from there. All you need is a SASE and eligibility. Basically you'll either need to have been an active member for a month or more, or a Super Member (which means you either donated money to the forums or some seed to the seed bank). At least that's how I think it works. There are Teirs of eligibility, the rarer and harder to grow seed is obviously higher Teir and has more requirements and such, but typical flytrap seeds are the first teir.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By anansi
Artchic528 wrote:Matt sells flytrap seeds in his store. I don't know for sure if he has any in stock right now, but his seeds are high quality. Just don't go looking for seeds on eBay as most listings are from Chinese sellers and they'll send you seeds from some other plant species. Basically they'll rip you off.

I also recommend looking at the seed bank on here if you're eligible for that. I'm currently growing seedlings from seed I got from there. All you need is a SASE and eligibility. Basically you'll either need to have been an active member for a month or more, or a Super Member (which means you either donated money to the forums or some seed to the seed bank). At least that's how I think it works. There are Teirs of eligibility, the rarer and harder to grow seed is obviously higher Teir and has more requirements and such, but typical flytrap seeds are the first teir.

Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate it. Will check both Matt’s flytrap store and this forum’s seed bank now :)

By Artchic528
anansi wrote:
Artchic528 wrote:Matt sells flytrap seeds in his store. I don't know for sure if he has any in stock right now, but his seeds are high quality. Just don't go looking for seeds on eBay as most listings are from Chinese sellers and they'll send you seeds from some other plant species. Basically they'll rip you off.

Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate it. Will check both Matt’s flytrap store and this forum’s seed bank now :)

No problem!

Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!