FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
sanguinearocks101 wrote:I have a Venus Flytrap and it wont go dormant in the coldest place in my house. I want to try my refrigerator but I am afraid it is too cold. Is 39.3 degrees Fahrenheit to cold?
No.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Artchic528 liked this
By tommyr
sanguinearocks101 wrote:I have a Venus Flytrap and it wont go dormant in the coldest place in my house. I want to try my refrigerator but I am afraid it is too cold. Is 39.3 degrees Fahrenheit to cold?
39 F. is perfect. They can actually go a bit lower than that but I've been doing fridge dormancy for 12 years with no problems at all. My fridge is 40F. It's getting a bit late in the season now though.
tommyr liked this
By DesertPat
I keep my flytraps outside basically all year long. I only start worrying about temperature when it drops below 20°F. I take them into the garage if temperatures dip much lower than that but they are fine to that point.

Patrick
DesertPat liked this
By sbrooks
You can keep it in a place where it is only receiving natural light, or manipulate the light (cover it up, etc.) so that it's around 9-10 hours a day. Water it with refrigerated water, or place an ice pack in a container below the flytrap bottom tray, careful not to freeze anything, but to help keep the medium a little cooler overall.
If outside is too cold for permanent placement, keep it out there when above freezing, and bring it in when below freezing, but keep the natural light cycle intact as much as possible.
By nycredneck
It’s the season to start thinking about dormancy. I’m going to leave mine outside as long as I can till it’s freezing for days here in NJ then I may try this method.
Intheswamp liked this
By tommyr
I've been doing it for 14 years and it works great. Mine will all go in by the end of next week. You're a tad bit warmer down there.
By Dragonslayer126
I only recommend this if you don't a garage or basement or any other unheated room with light. I did it and its so annoying plus some plants ended up dying from it.
Intheswamp liked this
By hollyhock
No as long as they don't freeze in your refrigerator they will be fine. Just check them often for any signs of mold. Before you put them in the refrigerator trim away all black parts. Treat with anti fungal.
Intheswamp liked this
By tommyr
Yup. Here is what I do: For VFTs, in mid – October once the plants are well into the start of dormancy I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a SULFUR based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3 - 3 1/2 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February 1st I take them out and clean them up, repot any that need it, hit them with SULFUR based fungicide again and place in a south and west window and some under florescent and white 'daylight' LED lights until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for 14 years with no losses.
Intheswamp liked this
By alecStewart1
This is a good thread as I've been a tad anxious about dormancy for a first time grower.

Although it seems some of the VFTs are "catching on" to the change in season. Some traps are turning black and they're not growing many new ones or are growing them slower than a couple of months ago. Even though it is warm down here for awhile before it gets cold. I still might try putting them in the refrigerator while leaving them in their pots next week. Just want their growing media to dry out a little before I do that. Also so I can go get some anti-fugal this weekend.
By Jawh4290
Could use some help.

I live in NE Pennsylvania, and this is going to be my first go-around, I am a bit nervous.

Being as it is, I would either have to go two routes, with one being a potential (Thoughts and opinions please)

I Don't have a shed or a porch, but I do have a grill , outback in which I thouht about placing the pot in there (Obviously not starting the grill) but maybeeee it's just enough to keep it from freezing?

If not, I am going to have to go the refrigerator Method. So my question is,

1. Do I just stick it in the fridge? Do I have to acquaint it?

2. Should I start bringing it outside for now, since the temp's do drop (But not below freezing) to acclimate?

If I go the refrigerator Method, I'm putting the entire pot in the frig.

Anyyy help or suggestions to help this anxiety of transition would be greatly appreciated. !

Thank you!
By tommyr
Jawh4290 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:19 pm Could use some help.

I live in NE Pennsylvania, and this is going to be my first go-around, I am a bit nervous.

Being as it is, I would either have to go two routes, with one being a potential (Thoughts and opinions please)

I Don't have a shed or a porch, but I do have a grill , outback in which I thouht about placing the pot in there (Obviously not starting the grill) but maybeeee it's just enough to keep it from freezing?

If not, I am going to have to go the refrigerator Method. So my question is,

1. Do I just stick it in the fridge? Do I have to acquaint it?

2. Should I start bringing it outside for now, since the temp's do drop (But not below freezing) to acclimate?

If I go the refrigerator Method, I'm putting the entire pot in the frig.

Anyyy help or suggestions to help this anxiety of transition would be greatly appreciated. !

Thank you!
You could just put them in the fridge. Here is how I do it:

For VFTs, in mid – October (zone 6) once the plants are well into the start of dormancy I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a SULFUR based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the bottom of the fridge for 3 - 3 1/2 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February 1st I take them out and clean them up, repot any that need it, hit them with SULFUR based fungicide again and place in a south and west window and some under florescent and white 'daylight' LED lights until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for 14 years with no losses.
By tommyr
Jawh4290 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:13 am How often do you water them with them being in the fridge?
Since they are in zip lock bags they do not require watering at all. They stay moist the whole 3 months.
By PlantMom84
How much sunlight do you give your plant during dormancy? This will be my first dormancy this winter coming up.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!