FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By EGROEG
Hey guys, I’ve been growing my plants in this cheap greenhouse for 2 years, and it’s done my plants beautifully. I have moved it to a better spot for better lighting. However, heavy winds sent the greenhouse airborne and everything fell. Despite wiring the greenhouse to the fence through handles at the top, the wind still sent the greenhouse flying from the bottom. I had a few bricks at the bottom, obviously not enough to hold it down though. How can I add more weight to the bottom of the greenhouse without the wind flipping it over? I also wouldn’t be allowed to get a proper glass greenhouse, and the one i have is in good condition and new, so I also wouldn’t wanna waste it. Attached below is a photo of the greenhouse location where the wind knocked it over. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:
D9C42982-B05C-492D-A42E-72DFF441C220.png
D9C42982-B05C-492D-A42E-72DFF441C220.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 6027 times
By hollyhock
Unfortunately there's not much you can do in strong winds. I also had a disaster with one like that. Mine was 6 x 8. I thought I had secured it properly to a fence with zip ties. My mistake was that I used the eyelets on the greenhouse fabric. The wind tore it and the whole thing ended upside down in the lake. If there is a way to secure the actual frame it might hold better. But again in stronger winds these type act like a parachute. Good luck.
By Jeeper
Use green steel fence posts on each corner, be careful not to tear the cover, or put them on the outside. Get the 6-8foot posts and drive them into the ground a couple feet.
By EGROEG
Thanks!! Yea hopefully I can find something

Green steel fence poss would be a good idea, but for the spot where the greenhouse is, we have really shallow crappy soil that hits rock at about 10cm - 20cm deep. If I can somehow secure the bottom, then I should be good, coz the wired top part stayed intact
By DesertPat
Jeeper wrote:Use green steel fence posts on each corner, be careful not to tear the cover, or put them on the outside. Get the 6-8foot posts and drive them into the ground a couple feet.
This is about the best thing you could do. My thought was to use either tent pegs or, better yet, these (buy them at your local hardware store, not online so they're cheaper). Use a sledgehammer and they'll penetrate even the rockiest of soil. You can then secure the base of your greenhouse's frame to them and continue to use zipties for its upper portion. Hope you figure something out, we can't have greenhouses blowing all over the place!

Patrick
By DesertPat
EGROEG wrote:Ooh will look into it. Would I stab these through the bottom cover of the greenhouse? Or through the bottom bars?
No, they just get pounded into the ground to act as anchor points. You would then secure the bottom of your greenhouse frame to them with something strong like masonry line.

Patrick
By thefic
I have a 6x8 polycarb greenhouse I use red twist in ground stakes and ratchet straps. I cross them in an X pattern. Holds up in Florida storms and Tennessee winter winds.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!