FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By thefic
Hello all.

Just wanted to post a quick review.

Late last year I ordered some seeds from their Etsy store.

Packaging was great. Germination rate was low. Only 3 seedlings sprouts out of 20+ (Drosera spathulata). Only 1 has survived. The other 2 died after not growing past the first few leaves.

Contacted the owners and they sent a replacement pack of seeds.

After a little more than a month the replacement pack has only germinated 1 seedling. I am holding out hope for more but at this point in time the germination rate seems the same as before.

I received some spathulata seeds from a forum member during a trade and have almost 40 seedlings using the exact same conditions. Same shelf on the plant rack as well. (A pack of 60 + seeds was received). These germinated in less than a month and are going gangbusters. I noticed a few late bloomers just the other day.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone is thinking about purchasing from them. The plants seem to be just fine but the seeds have a low germination rate.
By Shadowtski
Just a random thought here:
AK Carnivores is in Hawaii, I believe.
Their plants are used to year-round Tropical temperatures.
Did you give the seeds a nice 80 - 85 degree environment in which to germinate?
Something like this could have made a big difference in germination rates, possibly.

Just my 2¢ worth.
Shadowtski liked this
By thefic
The room I have them in is a constant 81-ish degrees. Rarely dips below 80. I keep my seedlings and my birds in there. Cactus during the winters. The other D spathulata seeds from a forum member germinated with no problem.

At first I thought it was me or my set up but then other Etsy reviews and a second package with virtually the same result makes me think that maybe the seeds aren’t exactly fresh.

I moved the original batch to my greenhouse hoping the higher temps, humidity, and natural sunlight might help. The daily checks show no more germination.

I’ll wait another month and then repurpose the original pot.
By Copper2
thefic wrote:The room I have them in is a constant 81-ish degrees. Rarely dips below 80. I keep my seedlings and my birds in there. Cactus during the winters. The other D spathulata seeds from a forum member germinated with no problem.

At first I thought it was me or my set up but then other Etsy reviews and a second package with virtually the same result makes me think that maybe the seeds aren’t exactly fresh.

I moved the original batch to my greenhouse hoping the higher temps, humidity, and natural sunlight might help. The daily checks show no more germination.

I’ll wait another month and then repurpose the original pot.
What type of birds do you have? I used to raise all sorts of poultry
By thefic
I have cockatiels, a parakeet, and some finches.

Moving soon and getting some chickens so I can have fresh eggs. I used to have guinea hens.
By Copper2
Try cream legbars. Best personality ever. They beat Easter eggers. I love guineas
What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!