FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By sipecsus
ok ive heard that you should grow your carnivorous plants in a terrarium , but wont this cause mildew to form in your soil??? i have all my plants in pots outside and make sure that they always have water would putting my plants in a terrarium be good for my plants????
:roll:
By italo.americano
Hi Sipecsus,

This is just my personal opinion but I would not recommend a terrarium. Terrariums have a tendency to cook your plants, especially in the summertime, and you run the risk of a fungal infection and just like you stated mildew. Although Dionaea require humidity, they will get enough just sitting in a pot of rain or distilled water. It seem like the set up you have now for growing plants is good and I would just leave it alone.

I hope this help!

Giovanni
By linton
I had several Dionaea in a terrarium. I found that it got too hot too quickly if the sun hit it, and the growth that the plants put out was fairly weak - they did not adjust to the open air very well when removed from the terrarium. I have since potted my plants outside in full sun and vigor & color has improved vastly.
By Matt
Just want to throw my opinion in here as well. I would not recommend a terrarium for growing plants. Your plants will be healthiest growing outdoors. I do have a couple of terrariums that I use for germinating seeds and tissue culture, but otherwise all of my plants are grown outside. The reasons for not growing in a terrarium have already been well answered by Giovanni and Linton.
By lemonlily
It seems that plants on't get as much "fresh" air when they live in a terrarium. They get burned and mold has a big chance to live. Dionaea like things wet, but to dry a little bit after a while. Meaning they want you to water it many times but a little at a time. don't sog it and let it dry out! But if you use the tray method, theres no need to worry.
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!