FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By tmann51
I have a mini bog that holds 12 gallons of CP soil and sits about 20" off of the ground. I also have a 2' x 4' table with water trays to sit potted cp's in. Sure as heck, last night, what I figure was a skunk got up and dug around in the mini bog. Fortunately, not a lot of damage was done, all is back in place. I figure a coon is going to get up on the table eventually. Has anyone ever used any kind of spray on, or granular animal repellant as a solution to this issue? I really don't want to have to build a cage around either or both of these items.
By Shadowtski
tmann51 wrote:I have a mini bog that holds 12 gallons of CP soil and sits about 20" off of the ground. I also have a 2' x 4' table with water trays to sit potted cp's in. Sure as heck, last night, what I figure was a skunk got up and dug around in the mini bog. Fortunately, not a lot of damage was done, all is back in place. I figure a coon is going to get up on the table eventually. Has anyone ever used any kind of spray on, or granular animal repellant as a solution to this issue? I really don't want to have to build a cage around either or both of these items.
I've been attacked by birds, squirrels and creatures unknown.
I tried hot pepper flakes and dried rabbit blood.
Neither worked.
I gave up and put metal mesh around my outdoor grow rack.
The only other choice was to hire a 24 hour armed security guard.

Good growing,
Mike
DSC07263.JPG
DSC07263.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 4924 times
20180512_112738.jpeg
20180512_112738.jpeg (711.42 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
By tmann51
Aw man, not what I wanted to hear at all...is that wire mesh or plastic?
By KategoricalKarnivore
You can try coyote urine. It scares off most small mammals. You can find it in hunting stores and survivalist stores.
By Huntsmanshorn
Live traps work with raccoons quite well but releasing them is kind of pain. Traps also work with the neighbor's cats and releasing them is not so bad but the neighbors can get a little testy. However, I believe catching a skunk in a live trap would be bad, really bad.
By tmann51
My solution to this problem was to build a 3' cube covered with chicken wire to sit over the mini bog, I hinged the top so that I can get in to water it and the whole thing is lightweight so that it can be completely lifted off if I need to. It seems to have done the trick, no more vandals.
This had to have been a coon and it actually dug it up 2 nights in a row, then I built the cage. A few days later, there was a big 'ol raccoon laying in the ditch dead in front of the house, hit by a car. Aw...
By tmann51
I'm pretty sure that raccoons have climbed on top of the cage I built as the wire isn't as tight as it once was but I haven't actually caught them in the act. Thus far they haven't climbed up on the water tray table, I don't know why really. I'll have to design a cage for that too eventually.
Let us know how your ordered covers work out for you.
By Fieldofscreams
I think my only problem critters are just birds and squirrels, I don't know which one attacked me last night, whatever it was it just wanted the water in the tray.
By Fieldofscreams
I was right, I saw him, he just wanted the water in the tray. So I will just use those protectors when I have water in the tray which isn't more than twice a week.
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!