FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions and share knowledge about cameras and photographic technique

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
Hello.
I know I haven't posted for a while, but I'm wondering about macro photography without an SLR.
I've got a Canon SD960IS with CHDK, and it can't get better apparent magnification than about 3:1 without an external lens. So, I've been using an extra 25mm Plössl telescope eyepiece that came with my telescope. I got several TeleVue eyepieces, which are much better quality than the ones that came with the telescope.
I simply put the eyepiece on the lens, and it works fantastically for getting true macro. However, this setup has basically no working distance (about 3mm? I think). Is there any way to get better working distance with this setup? I like insect photography, so a 3mm working distance is not great.
This setup gives me about 1:2.5 apparent magnification from my rough calculations.
I know this is a lot to ask of a point and shoot camera, but I've been able to match pro photographers with this camera in everything except macros. (And astrophotography, but my telescope isn't sutiable for that...) I haven't really been posting picture except those from my phone recently.
By cyph3r_gfy
At first I was thinking an extension tube, which would increase your magnification without lessening your focal length. However, I sincerely doubt you'd be able to increase your focal length on that camera, using that method as it would require adding a 'spacer' in between your lens and your sensor.

You do have some macro capability out of the box, but I wouldn't expect to be able to take too many 'insect' shots without intimidating your subject. You would need a dedicated lens, in the 100mm range with IS and a tripod to accomplish shots like that.

All that said, you do have 4x optical zoom on that PnS, that combined with macro settings as well as maxing out your image size and you should be able to get some quality shots. A little cropping, and some post processing should help a little. Just don't expect to be able to capture that honeybee working on some lavendar without disturbing it.
By cyph3r_gfy
I should not have said focal length here:
However, I sincerely doubt you'd be able to increase your focal length on that camera
I should have said depth of field and magnification.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!