FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By gonzalli
thanks for this grey it is really helpful to know the possobillities of disease
By Starchy
Browning Heart Disease or not?

I only top-water, and I have a very aerated soil mixture. I have actually under-watered mostly this year, and my ping is currently under a growlight inside my shed. Hopefully it is just a setback and not BHD.
Starchy liked this
By Grey
I can't believe it was three years ago that I lost most of my collection to this thing haha - oh how time has flown! I apologise for the out of date links in the thread; I'm currently re-writing my BHD article so will post the old one for now but update when things are sorted.
By SEWinans
Grey wrote:I can't believe it was three years ago that I lost most of my collection to this thing haha - oh how time has flown! I apologise for the out of date links in the thread; I'm currently re-writing my BHD article so will post the old one for now but update when things are sorted.
I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I've lost almost my whole collection this year :(

They were all so beautiful and reproducing like crazy. Then, during the winter and continuing into the spring and summer they all died seemingly overnight. They went from gorgeous to dead in a blink of an eye.

Really discouraging and devastating.
By Grey
I'm so, so sorry for all your losses. It is incredibly discouraging - I have lost a couple of plants over the last two months very suddenly and am at a loss as to the cause. It was a very similar story, they looked absolutely gorgeous and were seemingly flourishing but then I woke up one day to check on them and found them completely dead. The survivors are gorgeous - very confusing times.
Grey, Grey liked this
By SEWinans
I feel very confused also. I used to have so many pings that I gave some away at work and to friends and sold some on eBay.

Now, they're dying so sporadically for no apparent reason that I am starting to think that maybe I am done growing them altogether....
By Bob Beer
It would be interesting to have good records of culture conditions when brown heart set in, though I know that's difficult. Or even to try and reproduce conditions they might lead to brown heart. I have only had one instance of it, and that was a plant that was newly shipped. There were already some signs of rot on the very edges of the leaves, and within two days the whole center was mush, with the leaves following suit fairly quickly.

I suspect that it's a combination of factors such as light, wetness, temperature in conjunction with the presence of a pathogen.

In your experience (anyone's), in well-established collections, does it usually happen at a particular time of the year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By tommyr
Just lost a gigantea to brown heart. Took a few leaf pullings and 3 are taking off. First time seeing that in the 4 years I've been growing pings.
By jeff
Bonjour

this problem is well known to pinguologists like me, it is mostly due to too high moisture of the substrate being in their dormancy period or to an inadequate substrate.

the Mexican ping and their hybrids do not behave like temperate.

use substrates less water retentive such as peat, rather prefer mineral substrates based on limestone.

a lot of mexican and temperate species grow on limestone or gypsum ( just for some mexican)

keep them dormant from October to May slightly wet , dry for the filiforme except moctezumae , good light , temperature mini 5°c

from May to October it is their wet period ,you can leave them outside, under certain conditions

jeff
Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!