FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
The species and/or hybrids are separated into various categories, distinguished by general climate. The number next to each category name depicts how many plants are in that particular category on this list (but does not reflect the total amount known), with each plant name listed alphabetically.

A huge thank you to Benurmanii for his massive list audit which helps to ensure its ongoing accuracy. I really am so thankful for the hard work you've put into the updates!!

Please be aware that some hybrids have multiple names and flower forms as well as some having the same parents, because of this it is also possible that parent plants may have been from various named locations or had different flower/leaf forms themselves. Plants under the hybrid categories with their names in "quotation marks" are known hybrids but not widely available.

Feel free to PM me with updates, thoughts, queries, etc. I'm not as active as I used to be but do get notifications of messages via PM so will endeavour to get back to you ASAP.

Looking for a particular species or hybrid? Open the search function on your internet browser (usually done by holding down CTRL + F on your keyboard) and type the name in!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Total Pinguicula on the List: 125
Total species: 107
Total hybrids: 18
Cold Temperate Pinguicula Species (30)
* Pinguicula algida
* Pinguicula alpina
* Pinguicula antarctica
* Pinguicula apuana
* Pinguicula arvetii
* Pinguicula australandina
* Pinguicula balcanica
* Pinguicula bohemica
* Pinguicula causesnsis
* Pinguicula christinae
* Pinguicula Corsica
* Pinguicula dertosensis
* Pinguicula fiorii
* Pinguicula fontiquerina
* Pinguicula grandiflora
* Pinguicula leptoceras
* Pinguicula longifolia
* Pinguicula macroceras
* Pinguicula mariae
* Pinguicula mundii
* Pinguicula nahuelbutensis
* Pinguicula nevadensis
* Pinguicula poldinii
* Pinguicula ramose
* Pinguicula reichenbachiana
* Pinguicula vallisneriifolia
* Pinguicula vallis-regiae
* Pinguicula variegata
* Pinguicula villosa
* Pinguicula vulgaris
Cuban Pinguicula Species (15)
* Pinguicula albida
* Pinguicula baezensis
* Pinguicula benedicta
* Pinguicula bissei
* Pinguicula caryophyllacea
* Pinguicula cubensis
* Pinguicula filifolia
* Pinguicula infundibuliformis
* Pinguicula jackii
* Pinguicula jaraguana
* Pinguicula lignicola
* Pinguicula lippoldii
* Pinguicula lithophytica
* Pinguicula moaensis
* Pinguicula orthoceras
Dominican Pinguiciula Species (1)
* Pinguicula casabitoana
Mexican Pinguiciula Species (47)
* Pinguicula acuminata
* Pinguicula agnata
* Pinguicula calderoniae
* Pinguicula casperi
* Pinguicula clivorum
* Pinguicula colimensis
* Pinguicula conzattii
* Pinguicula crassifolia
* Pinguicula crenatiloba
* Pinguicula cyclosecta
* Pinguicula debbertiana
* Pinguicula ehlersiae
* Pinguicula elizabethiae
* Pinguicula emarginata
* Pinguicula esseriana
* Pinguicula gigantea
* Pinguicula gracilis
* Pinguicula greenwoodii
* Pinguicula gypsicola
* Pinguicula hemiepiphytica
* Pinguicula heterophylla
* Pinguicula ibarrae
* Pinguicula imitatrix
* Pinguicula immaculata
* Pinguicula jaumavensis
* Pinguicula kondoi / Pinguicula reticulata
* Pinguicula laueana
* Pinguicula laxifolia
* Pinguicula lilacina
* Pinguicula macrophylla
* Pinguicula martinezzi
* Pinguicula mesophytica
* Pinguicula michoacana
* Pinguicula mirandae
* Pinguicula moctezumae
* Pinguicula moranensis
* Pinguicula nivalis
* Pinguicula oblongiloba
* Pinguicula parvifolia
* Pinguicula pilosa
* Pinguicula potosiensis (sometimes synonymised with moranensis)
* Pinguicula pygmaea
* Pinguicula rectifolia (sometimes synonymised with moranensis)
* Pinguicula robertiana
* Pinguicula rotundiflora
* Pinguicula rzedowskiana
* Pinguicula sharpii
* Pinguicula takakii
* Pinguicula zecheri
Mexican Pinguiciula Hybrids (18)
* (P. agnata x gypsicola) - Numerous sources have ID'd this as a hybrid but none give a name
* Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' (P. agnata x P. moctezumae)
* Pinguicula 'Bettie' (debbertiana × cyclosecta)
* Pinguicula 'Florian' (P. debbertiana x P. jaumavensis)
* Pinguicula 'George Sargent' (P. moranensis var. caudata x P. gypsicola)
* Pinguicula 'Gina' (P. agnata x P. zecheri)
* Pinguicula 'Jannes' (debbertiana × cyclosecta)
* Pinguicula 'Johanna' (P. agnata x debbertiana)
* Pinguicula 'John Rizzi' (unknown cross of 2 P. moranensis, but is a registered cultivar)
* Pinguicula 'Pirouette' (P. agnata x (P. moranensis x P. ehlersiae))
* Pinguicula 'Seductora' (P. laueana x P. emarginata)
* Pinguicula 'Sethos' (P. ehlersiae x P. moranensis)
* Pinguicula 'Tempa' (parents unknown)
* Pinguicula 'Tina' / 'Hans' (P. agnata and P. zecheri)
* Pinguicula 'Titan' (P. agnata x unknown Mexican ping, but is a registered cultivar)
* Pinguicula 'Weser' (P. ehlersiae x P. moranensis)
* Pinguicula "Zaphod" (P. (laueana x emgarinata) x laueana)
* Pinguicula "Zarniwoop" (P. laueana crimson x (laueana x emarginata))
Tropical Alpine Pinguiciula Species (3)
* Pinguicula calyptrata
* Pinguicula elongate
* Pinguicula involute
Tropical Highland Pinguiciula Species (1)
* Pinguicula chuquisacensis
Warm Temperate Pinguicula Species (10)
* Pinguicula caerulea
* Pinguicula crystallina
* Pinguicula hirtiflora
* Pinguicula ionantha
* Pinguicula lusitanica
* Pinguicula lutea
* Pinguicula megaspilaea
* Pinguicula planifolia
* Pinguicula primuliflora
* Pinguicula pumila
Grey, Grey, Grey and 3 others liked this
By Starchy
Great list Grey. Thanks for all the work you put into it. I am fairly new to the world of pings, and I will definitely use this thread many times in the future.

Some other warm temperate pings that I have come across in research that come from Europe (Mediterranean) and South America include:
  • P. hirtiflora
  • P. crystallina
  • P. elongata
  • P. calyptrata
  • P. involuta
  • P. chilensis
I believe that at least one of your Mexican pings is actually from Cuba. I would rename them as tropical pings and include the following from Cuba and Haiti:
  • P. filifolia
  • P. albida
  • P. lignicola
  • P. cladophila
I also did not see P. heterophylla on the Mexican list, and #12 should be named P. emarginata

A couple other hybrids that I have heard of:
  • Pinguicula 'George Sargent' (P. moranensis var. caudata x P. gypsicola)
  • Pinguicula 'John Rizzi' (unknown cross of 2 P. moranensis, but is a registered cultivar)
  • Pinguicula 'Titan' (P. agnata x unknown Mexican ping, but is a registered cultivar)
  • (P. agnata x gypsicola) - I have seen numerous sources identify this as a hybrid, but I cannot find a name for it
Starchy, GoldenFarmer liked this
By Grey
Hi Starchy, thanks so much for your contributions and fixing the spelling error (it was late when I wrote this; P. emarginata is one of my favourite species heh).

Due to the production of winter succulent leaves I've chosen to classify some of the species from Guatemala, Cuba and Belize as Mexican Pinguicula; my definition of a tropical plant is one that does not develop any form of defence to colder weather, nor does it experience colder weather in its natural habitat. As it is possible that a few of the species you mention (and many that you have not that also originate from the aforementioned locations) do exhibit the behaviour of protecting themselves from cold and frost in the same manner as those from Mexico I feel it appropriate to keep them in the Mexican Pinguicula species list -- I'll do some more research to ensure my facts are not mixed up though. I appreciate you bringing them up!

The tropical Pinguicula list hadn't been added yet due to me wanting to do more research into individual species, I've set up the list anyway with your contributions after a brief look into their background -- thank you so much. I'm going to have a look for some more species to add to the list and perhaps get in contact with a friend who knows a lot more about Pings than I do so I can ensure the list is accurate.

I've double and triple checked a couple of species you mention and have added them as I feel appropriate, I'm also in the midst of researching different species so it may take a while for some to crop up. I'd also like to let you know that from some research I've done ICPS (the International Carnivorous Plant Society) apparently considers Pinguicula cladophila a synonym for P. casabitoana, as such I will add this to the list also in brackets.
By Kbud
Thanks for the great list Grey! Though all my Pings. have since died, I still love them and want to get more of them! When you mention things in the post like this (46/54), do you mean those are the ones you have vs. what's on the list?

I also don't know if you want to add this on, but I got a pinguicula 'Tehuacan' from www.cobraplant.com. I don't know if you want to add it to the list or not, but is widely believed to be a form of P. Moranensis. Just thought I'd throw it out there. You can find it on the internet, but it seems kind of rare.
Kbud liked this
By Benurmanii
P. elongata is a weird one. I would consider it more of a "tropical alpine" Ping. In regards to P. chilensis and antarctica, they apparently experience freezing temps in the winter, and after losing one for no apparent reason (I suspect that it may be due to a lack of winter rest last year) I have moved mine outside next to my cold temperate pings. If they handle freezes fine, I would consider moving them to cold temperate, as they definitely do not like summers and springs as hot as other warm temperates.

Edit: One of the mountains where P. chilensis grows seems to get some pretty heavy freezes, so I now consider this Ping to be cold temperate: http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/3092

(The creator of Pinguicula.org let his antarctica experience temps down toe -8 C so we know that those are homophyllous cold temperate).
By Benurmanii
Grey wrote:Brilliant, many thanks for your contributions, Benurmanii! I've made the updates as per your suggestions with regards to P. chilensis.
Don't forget to put P. antarctica there as well! :) it is closely related to chilensis, but grows a bit further south, so it is just as, if not more cold tolerant than chilensis.
By w03
Hey!
Just as a heads up this list is missing P. chuquisacensis (= P. jarmilae), a tropical species, P. megaspilaea, a warm-temperate species (it's part of the P. crystallina complex), and P. medusina, a Mexican species (closely related to P. heterophylla). All of the previous are available in cultivation.

Also, for some reason P. heterophylla is on both the Mexican and tropical lists - it is most definitely a Mexican species.
There might be others since this is just off the top of my head.
w03, w03 liked this
By Grey
Thank you so much, w03! I didn't realise I'd missed medusina, and have no idea why on earth I've put heterophylla down twice! Will sort it now.

I took a bunch of the numbers out as it was confusing me a bit. :lol: A huge thank you to all of you for your comments, suggestions, and annotations! It means a lot to have the help to get this list together and keep it as accurate as possible.

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!