FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By Dubstep13
well i just pollinated my Sarracenia alabamensis ssp. wherryi x Sarracenia alata

and i used cuetip and swiped up all the pollen and dusted the each pistil...... put the cuetip in a baggie sealed it and right into the fridge untill my Alata Purple Helmets open and my Hurricane creek open!
sounds good?
By snapperhead51
Dubstep13 wrote:John how do you go about storing your pollen for hybrids? do you use plastic container?
I use a plastic specimen container one they use at the Dr. for taking your fluid specimens , very easy screw lid or just some thing similar and not to big , small easy to store , , have the pollen in some paper wrap , works for short time , for longer use the silica gel packs to put in the containers , ones they use in shoes boxes or packages to keep out moisture
snapperhead51 liked this
By snapperhead51
Dubstep13 wrote:Thanks can you also do this with VFT pollen?
Most pollen can be stored and kept with care taken , collecting VFT pollen my prove very difficult , it may take you quite some time to perfect this extraction process, , I have never tried VFT pollen collection as yet , looks like a big task for you , good luck with that
J
By snapperhead51
fuzzy wrote:hey guys uhh my first flytrap flower and sarracenia flower puored with rain and their pollen got away... what should i do like in flytrap they dont have rain protection
if the VFT flower has been rained on , in my experience the seed production will be extremely low or none at all , if I want VFT seed , I have to cove the plants in flower I want seed from if pollinating them .
Sarra are not over affected by rain with pollination as the have the protective bell , but pollination should be done dry .as the pollen when wet is useless and fruitless as well , and pollination should be done as soon as the pollen drop's into the bell chamber ,sooner the better, but must to dry , some covering the flower if rain coming is a practical thing to do for both ,if you intend to pollinate just a simple cove clear plastic or put inside for the pollination time or under a covered porch as pollination only takes a few days or less to perform ,and will not affect the growth of the plant in sheltered in this short time

J
By uxleumas
Hayden wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:09 pm Amazing guide John! You put so much effort into the guides and answers you provide on this forum! Ill certainly check back next time I need to do some pollinating!
HarrisAz wrote:i dont even know b4 that Sarr had a pollen :P
I swear all flowers have pollen?
all complete/"perfect" flowers have pollen, in the case of "perfect" flowers, they have both female parts () and male parts (pollen). while in the case of "imperfect" flowers, like nepenthes, flowers are either male, or female, but not both. male flowers have only pollen (and flowery things like stems) and female flowers only have the female parts, and do not contain pollen. as seen here : http://programs.clarendoncollege.edu/pr ... age018.jpg
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!