FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By schmeg
My junior Scarlatine and Wacky Traps flytraps received from Savethetrees4life (thank you!) have sent up flower stalks when I wasn't looking...

Anyone have evidence/experience to confirm that it'll be interesting to pollinate these?

Or should I just hack off the flower stalk and try for stem propagation.

I mean, of course it would be interesting. It's VFTs. But collectively have we learned that seeds from interesting cultivars usually create unremarkable green typicals unless you embark on a multi-generation breeding program?

I have kept my smaller VFTs in milder dormancy this winter (14 hours light, barely damp, temps 55–68F), and almost all are sending up flower stems. It's a mix of typicals with different neat features, including sawteeth with highly arched traps; reds; large traps; magenta teeth; etc. I'm cross/self pollinating some of these or making stalk cuttings.
By schmeg
Note: I understand that only vegetative propagation will create babies of a named cultivar. I'm not super focused on named cultivars, just plants that look interesting.

Somehow I missed this valuable 2012 post from @Veronis in my earlier forum search. Excerpt:
In any set of seeds, however, some may be unique or show some interesting or unique trait. For example, a common mutation is short, saw-like cilia that look like shark teeth instead of the usual "eyelashes". If the seeds' parents have interesting traits, a seed will often (but not always) grow up to share some of the parent's interesting or unique traits, but there are no guarantees. Even if a seedling looks interesting or uninteresting, be aware that traits can change as seedlings mature.
By ChefDean
There's always a chance that there might be an interesting baby or two. However, there's a greater possibility that they'll have characteristics of the parents, but nothing to write home about.
You'll never know if you don't try.
za419 liked this
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!