FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By alecStewart1
Hello,

I saw this interesting article about plant acclimation from Curious Plant: https://curiousplant.com/carnivorous-plant-acclimation/

It got me thinking: would using the plastic bag trick to up humidity be useful for other types of plant stress? A few example I thought of
  • The easiest example I can think of would be repotting
  • An example of when not to do this would probably be if you've sprayed your plants with a fungicide to get rid of any mold or fungus
  • Maybe another example would be after top watering a plant with some mosquito bites water to get rid of fungus gnat larvae and you want to prevent fungus gnats from laying more eggs while the larvae die
  • Maybe you had to flush a plants medium with some clean water and after it's dried up some (going back to a normal wetness the plant likes) from being soaking wet you use humidity to help get it back to normal
  • Lastly maybe if your sundews are being pouty and not producing as much dew for some reason
I'm probably wrong in these assumptions so feel free to correct me.
By Panman
The one thing to be careful about is that plants that are already stressed will also be more susceptible to mold. You will want to refresh the air regularly and only keep it as wet as necessary.
alecStewart1 liked this
By alecStewart1
Panman wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:07 pm The one thing to be careful about is that plants that are already stressed will also be more susceptible to mold. You will want to refresh the air regularly and only keep it as wet as necessary.
Good point. For my pouty cape sundews I think I'll need to dump out some of the water in their trays to prevent molding. I might wanna check on the hybrid sundew I just got since I made sure his LFS moss was nicely moist when I put him in the new pot and bagged him. I may want to poke some small holes as well to allow for a little airflow.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!