FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Han Spud
89666CE7-358B-4E6A-AEEF-3D75B6C55B08.jpeg
89666CE7-358B-4E6A-AEEF-3D75B6C55B08.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 1559 times
My daughter’s sarracenia It’s looking very unhappy… We’ve been watering it from the water butt and putting some of the water down its flutes… But it seems to have other issues and some small bugs that look like greenfly. Are we feeding it enough do you think? It’s going dead at the end and we wondered if we’ve put too much water in it or whether it needs it soil refreshing.. The only instructions are to keep it in a sunny spot and keep it wet!

Do you have any recommendations on how to help it please? Thankyou so much x [/attachment][attachment=0]7C91FDF0-8544-4E01-8F07-00FBA974CFE6.jpeg
Attachments:
7C91FDF0-8544-4E01-8F07-00FBA974CFE6.jpeg
7C91FDF0-8544-4E01-8F07-00FBA974CFE6.jpeg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 1559 times
By optique
Han Spud wrote:Do you have any recommendations on how to help it please
At least in the summer time put it outside in full sun. They really like deep pots with low water levels.
By Panman
Those pitcher plants do not grow well on a windowsill. They need several hours of unobstructed sunlight every day. Trying to grow it inside without very strong grow lights will be unsuccessfull.
By ChefDean
For long term health, it needs to be outside. Sarracenia need direct, unfiltered sunlight, and the sunniest of windowsills cannot provide enough light due to how modern glass filters sunlight. Your plant needs more light.
What water are you using? You said water butt, did you mean water bottle? Sarracenia need low mineral water. They can withstand a higher mineral content than many other carnivorous plants, but many bottled waters have added sodium, calcium, and potassium, all of which are bad. Tap water may be OK, but testing the TDS and getting the water quality report from you water company can tell you if it's OK to use. Plus, you may be keeping it too wet. That rhizome looks like it's almost submerged, and most Sarracenia don't care for that. Moist is OK, but try to avoid long term swimming. You also don't need to put water down the pitchers. A deeper pot will be a real benefit. Not only for it to stretch its legs, but to avoid sitting in water for long periods.
Last, you didn't say how long you've had it, but it needs a winter dormancy. So you'll want to make changes now to build up it's strength in order for it to survive while it sleeps the winter away.
By MikeB
ChefDean wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:31 pm What water are you using? You said water butt, did you mean water bottle?
Water butt = rain barrel
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!