FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Mrconnor
Right now I’m using peat moss, charcoal, and perlite for my nepenthe. It’s great! Is sphagnum better?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By VelvetTooth
I’m not sure about charcoal, but there isn’t a huge diff between peat/perlite and LFSM unless you’re extremely worried about the medium drying out in ur area. I see that you’re growing them indoors, so there shouldn’t be a problem with water retention anyway
By Bluefire
Camden M wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:49 am It’s really weird because they’ve only amped up in like the last month and a half.
I feel I’ve seen more bots here after joining than when randomly browsing beforehand. Is summer break really that boring?
By Bluefire
Mrconnor wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:47 pm Right now I’m using peat moss, charcoal, and perlite for my nepenthe. It’s great! Is sphagnum better?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the actual topic: most of my pitchers are in a Sphagnum/ perlite mix, some plants get other things added in for drainage. But they live in humid grow chambers, so having the media drain well and quickly is important to prevent rot.

For those plants that I keep at room humidity, I don’t add any perlite or bark or whatever because it’s important that those plants have media that retains water or they’d need constant attention.

A peat/ perlite mix should work the same for a plant in such an environment. Just don’t go full peat, I got a cheap pitcher from a nursery in nothing but peat and its roots had all rotted out - it was basically a cutting and I had to root it.

If I have any live Sphagnum around, I top dress pots with it. When the moss looks thirsty, I give the whole pot a water.
By Bluefire
Panman wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:43 pm My two cents, but I found that neps kept at room humidity like to have a fine misting twice a day or so.
I don’t mist my plants and I notice that they pitcher rather inconsistently. Not every tendril makes a pitcher, while the plants kept in higher humidity seem to pitcher with each new leaf. One winter I got no new pitchers off my N. ventricosa but once spring came around, it took off again. So you’re probably onto something.
By Panman
Over the winter the ambient humidity was 40%. I misted them well, but with a very fine mister, 2 or 3 times a day. They pitchered profusely and produced abundant nectar. Now these were hardy plants like ventrata and Miranda.
By Bluefire
Panman wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:25 am Over the winter the ambient humidity was 40%. I misted them well, but with a very fine mister, 2 or 3 times a day. They pitchered profusely and produced abundant nectar. Now these were hardy plants like ventrata and Miranda.
The only plants I grow in room humidity are the hardy ones. The ventrata, ventricosa, and Bloody Mary. I moved them all into a room that tends to be more humid because 40% ish humidity is probably not doing them any favors. Maybe I should look into a mister.
By mhal408
I heard from this forum, having live sphagnum moss as a carpet for your nepenthes pot helps with the humidity, some even claim as soon as the tendril touched the moss it would start growing pitchers.

I live in the tropics so never had problems with neps since its their natural habitat.

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

From what I remember, one quarter teaspoon per gal[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!