FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gnat Destroyer
First post here. P. vulgaris is native to my area (MN) and I want to add it to my garden in the spring. However, it seems the common butterwort isn't so common in cultivation. Does anyone know where I can purchase one? The only thing I can find online are some sketchy stores offering seeds.
By evenwind
BCP (Best Carnivorous Plants) has them and a lot of other temperates as well - but you've got to catch them when they're open and the paperwork is going to cost you.
By hungry carnivores
Panman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:06 pm I've noticed an overall dearth of temperate pings. Seems like they aren't as sexy as the Mexican piings.
Because they're boring for half the year. Mexicans, although they sometimes make a noncarnivorous rosette, still grow and flower during winter, and are able to propagate. Meanwhile the temperates just die for the winter lol.
By Panman
Now, now, now, there is no need to get ugly. :D I like my temperates because I don't have to find space for them inside for the winter.
By Huntsmanshorn
Gnat Destroyer wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:48 pm First post here. P. vulgaris is native to my area (MN) and I want to add it to my garden in the spring. However, it seems the common butterwort isn't so common in cultivation. Does anyone know where I can purchase one? The only thing I can find online are some sketchy stores offering seeds.
Sometimes you can get one in the spring on Facebook and, once in awhile, you can find them on eBay or maybe Etsy. Quick tip, if you ever find one for sale, only buy if it comes potted, they do not like much root disturbance at all. Being shipped bare root will usually mean eventual death, which, take it from me, is heartbreaking.
By sanguinearocks101
hungry carnivores wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:36 pm
Because they're boring for half the year. Mexicans, although they sometimes make a noncarnivorous rosette, still grow and flower during winter, and are able to propagate. Meanwhile the temperates just die for the winter lol.
Who else is gonna destroy the pesky gnats in the summer with the hot Jersey sun? The dews ain’t doing it.
By Gnat Destroyer
Thanks for the input. Makes sense they may be harder to come by right now since they're out of season. I'll keep an eye out for some in the spring.

Are there any other more readily available varieties that are hardy in zone 4?
By Apollyon
Could also try ebay. They get a surprising amount of uncommon plants for sale.
By Huntsmanshorn
Gnat Destroyer wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 pm Are there any other more readily available varieties that are hardy in zone 4?
No, unless you want to try Pinguicula grandiflora. It's easier to find and grow than vulgaris but I doubt it can withstand your winters outside but if you are willing to stick it in an unheated garage for the winter it would probably survive.
By madrone
I agree - cold-temperate pings are very underrated! I'm definitely less worried about the survival of their overwintering hibernacula than the succulent phases of some mexican pings.

I just received a wee P. vulgaris in a trade this fall. It went 'to sleep' almost right away, and I'm hoping it wakes up in the spring. But. P. grandiflora has been growing nicely for me for a few years and is a cheery sight in the spring bog planters!

Maybe try a post in the sales/trades/wants and see if anyone has an extra come spring? Or rarexoticseeds, if you want to try the grow from seed approach (although it's out of stock at the moment).
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!