FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By jeff
like P.heterophylla , P.medusinae likes gypsum environments
substrate just moist from May to October, completely dry from October to May when dormant (onion).
like all mexican it is freezing so do not go down in dormace below 5 ° c for my part it is 12 ° c in my garage
By hungry carnivores
Sp0nser wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:24 pm Anyone know how to cultivate this amazing pinguicula, i was gonna put it under a grow light with around 40% humidity year round, will it work?
The state where it's from varies in humdidty. According to weather forecast, in the winter it's about 30 and in the summer it's about 60.

It likes cliffs made of gypsum and chalk. Maybe give a vertical setup a go?

Also you're gonna have to keep other pots to catch leaf tip pups in so they can root.

If you're up for a trade later, I'm down.
By Bob Beer
I grow medusina in a mix of turface and perlite like I did with most of my other pings. (Now I use mostly turface with the addition of some cactus and succulent soil - peat based with added pumice and lime. I’m not sure the lime makes any difference. I don’t keep it bone dry in winter; it still goes through its active and dormancy phases as the temperature regimes change. Like gypsicola it tends to be a little late to emerge, since Seattle is cooler overall. Lots of my plants are just “waking up” now as we have had a very marked “Juneuary” this year and have only now started to have days consistently at 70 (21C) or over. Gypsicola is just now starting show signs of summer growth for me now. :-) Many is the moranensis varieties are similarly late to “wake up.” On the the other hand they’ll grow well into December or even January.

Attached is a photo of my medusina. And gypsicola just for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By uxleumas
what would the purpose of gypsum be? isn't that a type of fertilizer or at least used at fertilizer? doesn't gypsum harden in contact with water (since gypsum is a name for plaster of paris)
By hungry carnivores
OK so gypsum in plaster of paris has Alum added in and it's baked nice and hot to achieve a nice, strong cast.

Gypsum in the rock world is Calcium Sulfate (hydrous form). It's useful for outcrops and helps them maintain their osmotic pressure. It also drains well.
By madrone
Definitely keep us updated! This is a wishlist plant for me and I'd love to hear how it goes (grows...).
By jeff
gypsum is an often crystallized sedimentary rock, CaSO42H2O, actually which is used to make plaster. We find a lot of it in the form of crystals in the USA.
for my part I use this rock, crushed, with river sand 30/70, the sand gives the substrate a less compact and hard appearance

see here 'in situ'
http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pi ... TRIP_5.htm
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!