FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Thought I'd share some pics of what a couple of my pings are doing. Not exactly sure what causes the Ehlersiae to do that but it is the second plant to decide to break itself into numerous offshoots. Last time around I pulled them out and got around 12 plantlets which was wild for a plant thats about 1.5 inches in diameter. This one decided to one-up the other by growing plantlets through the crown up top as well. The pirouette decided when it was time to flower that it wanted to be several plants. It's cool because it shows the different ways in which pinguicula can divide itself, both splitting the crown and offshoots throughout the plant.

ImageImageImage

Edit: I've been thinking about it and I wonder if the base suffered a trauma of some sort and died off while the leaves themselves were undamaged and worked like pullings off a central "stalk" though the first plant survived when I removed the plantlets. Idk.
Panman, Matt liked this
By Apollyon
No these particular plants (the ehlersiae) haven't flowered yet. I'm hoping to see it start soon though. I've been making some changes to their environment. It's been very gradual but the pirouette started doing its thing once I began dropping the photoperiod a couple months ago (give or take). Seems like they all have their quirks. Cyclosecta flowered for me in higher humidity but hasn't yet in relative. How are yours doing?
By StaatS+17+
They're doing well. Growth points look healthy. What photoperiod are you using to induce flowering? I reduced mine from 16 to 14 hrs without any luck. I prob need to reduce to 10 or 12. I've got a Gigantea/Lueana cross that won't flower. It may need more humidity as well.
By Apollyon
StaatS+17+ wrote:They're doing well. Growth points look healthy. What photoperiod are you using to induce flowering? I reduced mine from 16 to 14 hrs without any luck. I prob need to reduce to 10 or 12. I've got a Gigantea/Lueana cross that won't flower. It may need more humidity as well.
That's good to hear. Mine responded initially when I changed it from 16 to 14. There were only three species that flowered though. Pirouette, Sumidero, and Emarginata. I had a cyclosecta that flowered but I believe that was humidity related because the more mature one in open air did/has not. The photoperiod on the flowering one was also 14 hours. The watering is different though so perhaps that could even be a factor, I honestly don't know. My current open air setup is 12 hours but I haven't seen any new changes yet. In fact, my gypsicola that recently woke up is putting in work right now still. I may drop it to 10 and I imagine that will send them into their "dormancy." I was debating whether I wanted to do that or not. Some in the grow space are immature and they just seem to grow more rapidly in their carnivorous state.

The factors involved in these different plants dormancy are interesting. I do think humidity is a factor for some. It was cool because I was able to pollinate a sumidero flower using the cyclosecta from the other space. Mainly wanted to attempt it and see if I could but I am looking forward to what comes from that.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!