FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By grant
fly traps fall 08 002.jpg
fly traps fall 08 004.jpg
fly traps fall 08 006.jpg
By grant
when i bought the flytraps from bugbitingplants.com, they were a trio. you know, a typical, a dente and an akai ryu. well, the akai ryu didnt make it. but the other two are doing great.

i repotted them into a clay pot when i first got them. but after learning that was not the way to go, i put them into a glazed pot.

i should have just put each of them in their own pot, but it's almost winter here in the colorado rockies, and all the shops in town are not really stocking gardening stuff right now.

so anyways... i bought a new pot for a differnt house plant. and put the fly traps into the other plants pot.

since they came as a trio, i tried to keep them all together for my first repot. but i realized a few things with this second repot.
1. you dont need to keep them all together. and now, i actually think the "trio thing" is kind of cheesy. i would way rather have each plant have their own pot
2. put all the soil in the pot, then maybe just making a hole with my finger would work great to just let the rhizome slip right in.
3. i would say they have been growing faster since the repot. there wasn't really any setback with growth. as you can kind of see, they are doing very well

so thanks again to everyone, especially Matt. i cant wait to watch my collection grow :D
By grant
ps - the other terrarium has a cape sundew, which also is doing well
By Matt
Thanks for sharing the photos of your setup Grant. You should definitely try growing your plants outside next year. They will do much better, I promise!

It looks like you have them in a pretty sunny spot and they look healthy. I hope that it gets cool enough in that spot in the winter to allow them to enter dormancy. If you don't supplement their lighting with artificial light, you probably wont' see much new growth this year.

I like how you describe how to repot a venus fly trap. That's how I do it, by filling the pot up, sticking my finger down into the peat moss, and then sliding the rhizome into the hole that was made by my finger.

You're very welcome for all of the help. It has been a pleasure. I love sharing information with other growers that are as excited about Dionaea as I am!
By grant
this plant used to be in the pot that the flytraps are now in.  im not sure what kind it is.  my dad grow's orchids as a hobby.  and this is just one he gave me.  we just call it the lightning plant
this plant used to be in the pot that the flytraps are now in. im not sure what kind it is. my dad grow's orchids as a hobby. and this is just one he gave me. we just call it the lightning plant
IMG_3604.jpg (40.8 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
By Carl
Nice pictures and the plants are looking good :) I re-pot the same, fill the pot, poke finger in the middle of pot/peat then plant couldn't be easier. Your cape sundew looks like Capensis and without a closer picture I would say "Alba"
By grant
dente
dente
IMG_3589.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
cape sundew
cape sundew
IMG_3606.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
IMG_3607.jpg
IMG_3607.jpg (33.3 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
By grant
hey, just curious. are dente and dentate the same?
By grant
one more.  better light and a little more opened up
one more. better light and a little more opened up
fly traps fall 08,too 003.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!