FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By NightRaider
Went by a new farm supply store earlier that just opened and saw some huge 3.8cf bales of Lambert sitting out front. Figured I'd need another bale anyway to have enough for the load of sarrs I've got coming, so I went ahead and grabbed one. Haven't checked it yet, but I'll probably be rinsing and mixing soil most of the day tomorrow or this weekend so I'll update with my findings afterward. From what I could see through the hole ripped in the top though, it at least looked better than Greensmix and probably on par with how I remember my bale of Premier, so I'm really hoping that holds up after I start digging into it.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
elaineo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:35 pm I use Sunshine brand from Home Depot. The last batch I got was full of twigs and debris, but I just pot it up, junk and all. Figure it's good for aeration :lol: Peat should be acidic enough to prevent fungus and rot.
Besides, plants in nature don't grow in sterile media. They gotta deal with tree litter, bird droppings, deceased neighbors, blackened leaves, etc. This is how I rationalize my laziness, see.
Now who would think of trying to do it like nature does? That goes against all modern thought! ;) You've got a really good point, there, elaineo. With this Greensmix that I have, by the time I get through sifting and picking stuff out of it only then does it get down to "junky" status. :D I mean, we're talking 3" sticks here. But, yeah, nature isn't a prestine, sterile laboratory...it's a great big, wonderful place that all kinds of incredibly cool things take place with out human interference. :)

I do like the "deceased neighbors" part. I live in a little community called Faith Hill. There's a little church about a quarter of a mile down the road from me. I tell folks there's probably 50-60 folks in my little community...I don't tell them that most of them folks are dead..."Deceased neighbors", yeah...I like that phrase. :mrgreen:
elaineo liked this
By NightRaider
NightRaider wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:38 am Went by a new farm supply store earlier that just opened and saw some huge 3.8cf bales of Lambert sitting out front. Figured I'd need another bale anyway to have enough for the load of sarrs I've got coming, so I went ahead and grabbed one. Haven't checked it yet, but I'll probably be rinsing and mixing soil most of the day tomorrow or this weekend so I'll update with my findings afterward. From what I could see through the hole ripped in the top though, it at least looked better than Greensmix and probably on par with how I remember my bale of Premier, so I'm really hoping that holds up after I start digging into it.
... I don't wanna talk about it...
By Intheswamp
Thanks for the feedback, Panman! When I pull it up Peat Moss at Lowe's it is showing a picture of Majestic peat moss and the title listing is for "Fafard". I believe both of these are Sungro products. It appears that Lowe's supplier might be substituting between two Sungro products that are viewed as equals in regards to cost. Whereas Home Depot is receiving substitutes from two entirely different producers (Premier and Sungro) but probably from the same distributor. Ah well, it'd be nice if they got their online listings connected to the correct images. I'm glad to hear this one is pretty good. Now I've just gotta make a road trip to grab some. Even my nearby Lowe's (30miles) doesn't have bales of anything so it looks like a road trip to get some.

@Panman, would you check the bag to see if it gives the producer's name? I'm just curious if the info I got on it is correct regarding the producer. Thanks!
By NightRaider
Good to know since my Lowe's has never had peat before when I've checked, but right now it's showing 3 bales in stock. I got about 4cf of dry sifted peat out of that bale yesterday plus I still have most of a bale of Greensmix, but since Ace wasn't showing Black Gold in stock anywhere nearby and the closest Premier is an hour drive I guess that'll be next up for me to try.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
I thought I'd mention that I went by Lowe's in Montgomery a few weeks ago and they had Majestic Earth in stock so I got a bale of it. I've used some of it and it is *so* much better than the TSC "Greensmix" junk!!! I still screened stuff out of it, but not nearly as much and certainly not the pulpwood size pieces I was pulled out of the Greensmix. There may be better peat moss but this is so much better than what I've had. Something about it seems "better", too, beyond simply the less trash content...it just "feels" better. I've only used a small amount so far so I'll post again later.
NightRaider liked this

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!