FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Ben Goudge
Hi.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to take leaf pullings from P. Lutea? P. Lutea doesn't really have easy-to-pull leaves like its Mexican counterparts, and (as far as I know) doesn't produce plantlets at the tips of its leaves like P. Primuliflora.
By twitcher
Hi Ben, I've been trying to work with the US warm temperate pings for much of the past year. They have presented some challenges to me. I'm gradually getting better, but still not doing great with them.

Lutea: I took a leaf pull of a lutea last fall. The plant was dying on me and had I no success with the pull. Lutea seems to give me the most trouble of the warm temps (wt's) but I finally have 3 going. Not yet confident enough to try a leaf pull. My failure wth the pull probably doesn't mean anything.
Primuliflora: I have taken leaf pulls from it and had success. However, I get better results just leaving the leaf on the plant, but making sure the tip is just in the media.
Planifolia: Have not tried a leaf pull yet. I had multiple failures with this one until I learned to keep them very wet.
Lusitanica: Tried a couple of pulls just out of curiosity. Did not work for me. Damaged the plant significantly getting them.
Ionantha: hard to get these, so I try not to risk what I have. Would really like to get seed from them. I did try a leaf pull with a single leaf and did get a strike. However the leaf rotted faster than the plant developed and I was not able to keep it alive. I tried a second time and did not get a strike. Did not want to further risk the plant.
Pumula: These are hard to find. I bought 3 last year. They arrived in poor shape, but two died. The third was deformed, likely fasciated. I kept it going for maybe 6 months, but it went into decline. I did try a pull with it, but no success. The plant was likely already declining when I tried.
Caerulea: Have this one, but not tried a pull. Really nice flowers.

Hope this helps. If anybody knows of a source for pumila, please let me know. I've tried some seed without success.

Its hard to find the kind of information you asked for, and I've posted here what I know. The answer, I think, is "maybe". I asked the same question last year about one of the warm temperates but didn't get a response.
By jeff
for me only plants with succulent leaves succeed this kind of cuttings.

for the temperate, except those which do not have a hibernacle and behaves like the US subtropics, we can succeed with the scales of the hibernacle, but it is better to use the bulbils which develops naturally around.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!