FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By madrone
Or maybe I should say 'what's my issue'...

I've been growin' pings for a while now, and we usually get along grand, but this one has been a challenge for me, and I'm not sure why. I got this plant a little over a year ago, and by and large it has been doing great. For whatever reason, I put it in a warmer/more humid area this spring. I have another couple pings growing in the same place, and they are hunky-dorey. But the P. kondoi has developed red streak/dots up the center and also on the backs of the leaves.

Anyone had a ping (kondoi, or otherwise) do this? The leaves seem firm, so I don't think it's a rot issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a great 'before' picture for comparison.

I realize this could be anything in the changed growing conditions - light, humidity, temp. But the pics I've seen online of healthy kondois, even those that appear to be getting a good amount of light show a 'blush' on the margins of the leaves, not these center streaks. Also, there are a couple small props around the parent plant - one is also showing this coloration, but the other two seem "normal".

Maybe I've just light-stressed the heck out of it?
By twitcher
I don't know the answer to your question, but it looks healthy to me and the feature is also attractive. Be nicde if you could fix it in a line of pings.
By Apollyon
Yeah, I've never had this particular species but if you put it in brighter conditions it could be reacting to the intensity of the light. They call it "blushing." I'm not sure if heat is a factor in that or not but those characteristics come out in pings. I've seen a change in color in a lot of my pings over the course of time I've had them. A couple of them have some cool characteristics. I just ordered an El Mirador that has lines that runs through the leaves. Your ping is awesome, I'd love to have one of those.
By madrone
twitcher wrote:I don't know the answer to your question, but it looks healthy to me and the feature is also attractive. Be nicde if you could fix it in a line of pings.
Thanks for taking the time to reply - a good reminder that if it's healthy, not to overthink it!
Apollyon wrote:Yeah, I've never had this particular species but if you put it in brighter conditions it could be reacting to the intensity of the light. They call it "blushing." I'm not sure if heat is a factor in that or not but those characteristics come out in pings. I've seen a change in color in a lot of my pings over the course of time I've had them. A couple of them have some cool characteristics. I just ordered an El Mirador that has lines that runs through the leaves. Your ping is awesome, I'd love to have one of those.
Appreciate your time in giving your input here. Maybe it's as simple as moving it back where it was to see if it reverts back. Interesting to hear about your El Mirador - that one's on my list.
Apollyon liked this
By evenwind
I can't find my kondoi/reticulata - it apparently died since the last census - so I have no way to directly compare to yours. But I did a quick look thru the Carnivorous Plant Photofinder to see if there was anything similar. I didn't see anything. It did bring up a question for me: How sure are you of your plant's ID? For instance, has it flowered with a kondoi/reticulata looking flower? I'm asking because the leaves on your plant don't have the same shape as 90% of the pics. The pics show a much rounder leaf with a drip edge. Are your leaves dewy? Could they be in winter/succulent mode? Or is it possible that your plant is mis-identified? You might be looking in the wrong place for your red blush question.

http://cpphotofinder.com/pinguicula-kondoi-344.html
By Apollyon
madrone wrote:Appreciate your time in giving your input here. Maybe it's as simple as moving it back where it was to see if it reverts back. Interesting to hear about your El Mirador - that one's on my list.
I have a plantlet growing as well as a couple leaves that may spark. We can trade if you want. I just want to give this guy a couple more weeks to gain some size before I risk putting it in the mail.
By madrone
evenwind wrote: It did bring up a question for me: How sure are you of your plant's ID? For instance, has it flowered with a kondoi/reticulata looking flower? I'm asking because the leaves on your plant don't have the same shape as 90% of the pics. The pics show a much rounder leaf with a drip edge. Are your leaves dewy? Could they be in winter/succulent mode? Or is it possible that your plant is mis-identified? You might be looking in the wrong place for your red blush question.
I'm fairly certain of the id (although have not yet achieved flowers), but I do think that you are right that the plant has transitioned to its succulent phase - because, ya know, it's the middle of summer (which of course means nothing in the world of ping whims). I have a very tiny pic of the plant (amongst several others received in the same trade) and it had broader leaves than it does now. As it seems I've triggered dormancy, I am going to move it to a different spot (for no other reason than it's in a tray with plants in carnivorous growth). Let's see what happens!
Apollyon wrote: I have a plantlet growing as well as a couple leaves that may spark. We can trade if you want. I just want to give this guy a couple more weeks to gain some size before I risk putting it in the mail.
That's very generous of you to offer a trade - thank you! I'll send you a note in a few weeks if I am still Mirador-less.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
On a side note, I read somewhere that people have top watered their pings to trigger their summer growth and bring them out of dormancy so I tried it on this sole Esseriana that didn't get the memo. I top watered it a few times and it actually woke back up lol.
By madrone
Little update on the odd (but pretty) coloring on my kondoi. Thinking it was light or heat stress, I moved the plant into a tray in another area. And a few months later it looks more 'normal' and less pinched.

Still haven't seen carnivorous growth on it. If it doesn't wake up in the spring, I'll try the top-watering trick.
By jeff
if you have the possibility, add a limestone substrate to your mixture
for me she is dormant,so leave it like that until May, in a room at 12-15 ° c, with good light without direct sunlight.
at home during all this period of dormancy it is dry, but you can also leave it a barely damp substrate to avoid desiccation, be careful all the same to the rotting of the collar if too much water
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!