FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By sans
Also im curious, in proper conditions, how long does it usually take? I have it sealed in a plastic bag for the humidity, and the temp is relatively high, as it is outside.
By Intheswamp
Hmmm, they need some warmth but I'm not sure they like it hot. How hot are you talking? I don't know how long to tell you germination takes for those seeds, I haven't grown any of them. From a previous post or two of yours I see that you've germinated other sundews from seed...are these in the same conditions those were germinated in? Is the temperature warmer now, than it was for the others that germinated?

Did you receive these seeds in the same envelope with other seeds that you've successfully germinated? The reason I ask is that I got a packet of tracyii seeds that were guaranteed to be viable (paid bucks for them). I planted them identically to a filiformis variety...they sat side-by-side under the lights. The filiformis had an incredible germination rate but the tracyii pulled a big ZERO...nothing germinated. The guy was nice and refunded the money, but I lost that time and really wanted the seedlings. The only thing I can figure is *something* happened between California and Lower Alabama...they sat in a hot truck broke down for a day or two on I-10 west of Phoenix, in a hot mailbox when they were mailed, put in a microwave ;) , or something else happened. But, not nary a green speck came out of those seeds.

As for sealing in a plastic bag, I usually leave the bag cracked or a few holes poked in it to let a bit of fresh air pass in and out. Also, don't keep them in the sun or under lights that can heat them up too much...I usually will put them *beside* my grow lights...when I see a green speck I slide them on beneath the lights and open the bag/cover a bit more.
By sans
They are not in the sun, they get indirect sun however, but the temps arnt as high because its in may currently, and i live in mid FL. They came with other seeds that have germinated, but, i am now suspicious because i got a bad germination rate with them.
By sans
And i do leave a little crack once they grow up for air. But i do check on them so they get air at that time too.
By Intheswamp
I dunno. Maybe you didn't hold your mouth right when you planted them? :?:

Whatever the case, unless you're in desperate need of the pot, bag, or space I'd just leave them be and make sure they stay moist for another month or two...not much to lose in giving them more time. Just don't stress over it, life's too short.
By sans
Eh, i wasn't stressed i was more just curious.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Are we kin? :mrgreen:
By sans
:lol: Maybe we are! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Intheswamp liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!