FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
So, in the USA, we have our Thanksgiving holiday coming up later this month. Thanksgiving is traditionally known as the excuse to gorge yourself on turkey, dressing (stuffing for you Yankees), and whatever else happens to land on the table. So, in honor of Thanksgiving, let’s see pictures of your plants gorging themselves or at least having the ability to do so.

Pictures for this contest will feature either your plant with evidence of it’s oversized, or at least ambitious kill (I have some snail shells in my traps) or your plant with a ginormous mouth, aka trap.

@Matt and Leah from The Flytrap Store are providing, appropriately enough, a Big Mouth flytrap as this month’s prize.

From The Flytrap Store website:
The Big Mouth Venus Flytrap is prized for its large traps, deep color and neat growth habit. Unlike most Venus Flytraps that grow taller and thinner during the summer and can look a little "leggy" and unkempt, Big Mouth's leaves grow prostrate in a neat rosette close to the ground year round. Although Big Mouth, like most Venus Flytraps, can be capricious about when it displays its best color, when the traps do color up they become a very deep, almost purple red. That color combined with the oversized traps definitely sets Big Mouth apart from other Venus Flytrap clones.
Here are the rules:
1. It must be your own picture
2. You can only submit one photo for this contest
3. Pictures shared in previous contests are not eligible
4. The winner will be the entry with the highest number of thumbs up votes
5. This contest is open internationally, although there will be an alternate prize for international winners

So, show us your big mouths! Get your entries in early. The earlier you are in, the better chances you have of getting votes!
By Carnies
Caught the sundews in the act!
Attachments:
Sundeweatingfly.JPG
Sundeweatingfly.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 4628 times
Panman, MaxVft, TrapsAndDews and 2 others liked this
By Eventerminator
This is the biggest prey my Venus Flytraps have caught so far. Its size is around the diameter of an Australian 20 cent coin. I don’t know what it is but my guess is that it might be a cricket?

Safe to say that it’s pretty big since they haven’t finished digesting it yet.
It had an antenna sticking out before.
It had an antenna sticking out before.
7DFEA3A5-9DF5-436B-B1D6-114AF00FB54E.jpeg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 4576 times
Panman, MaxVft, Ewreck and 3 others liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Edited because I forgot I had already submitted this photo for a past contest... :shock: . Will upload another later today.
Panman, MaxVft liked this
By Panman
I couldn't decide whether to put the flytrap tray loaded with spider legs waving in the air or this one. Honestly, flytraps digesting snails in their shell is a new one for me. If you look closely, you can see three traps with empty snail shells in them.
Attachments:
20211102_124500.jpg
20211102_124500.jpg (437.42 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
MaxVft, elaineo, ChefDean liked this
By Panman
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:57 pm Edited because I forgot I had already submitted this photo for a past contest... :shock: . Will upload another later today.
Where is it?
By evenwind
Biggest prey, huh? I dunno, does this count?
PB052456a.JPG
PB052456a.JPG (72.77 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
MaxVft, Panman, elaineo and 2 others liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Panman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:11 pm
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:57 pm Edited because I forgot I had already submitted this photo for a past contest... :shock: . Will upload another later today.
Where is it?
Still looking :lol:. My plants have a surprisingly low amount of trapped insects on them this time of year.
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:10 pm Honestly, flytraps digesting snails in their shell is a new one for me. If you look closely, you can see three traps with empty snail shells in them.
Some of my plants have developed quite a taste for escargot.
By Panman
One week in and we have a tie for first place. That is okay because it is still anyone's game. Here are the standings:
Sarracenia2004 6
slicric78 6
evenwind 4
tosornof 4
Eventerminator 3
optique 3
Hendre 3
Carnies 2
Panman 2

Be sure to post your pictures of your gluttonous plant or a ginormous trap so that you can have your shot at the Big Mouth prize. And if you haven't voted already, check through the posts and give a thumbs up to your favorites.
By DragonsEye
Gluttony can have severe consequences -- WHEN GLUTTONY BITES BACK!
Sarracenia failed wasp escape .JPG
Sarracenia failed wasp escape .JPG (264.04 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
This Sarr pitcher tried to munch on a yellow jacket. As you can see, the yellow jacket chewed a hole from the inside of the pitcher. (Thankfully, turkey and stuffing have never been known to do such a thing.) This was a lose-lose situation. The yj did not succeed in getting any further out than pictured here. I would imagine the hole was simply not big enough for its abdomen to pass through and it eventually exhausted itself and died. The pitcher was now useless for further insect nutrient extraction since any new insect prey would not have any digestive fluids to die in.
TrapsAndDews, Panman, MaxVft and 4 others liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!