FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Sundew grower
This has got to be the most pathetic attempt at flowering I have ever seen.
20220514_093137.jpg
20220514_093137.jpg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 2878 times
By Panman
That is planted way too deeply. It will continue to struggle to produce traps. The flower stalk may be a list ditch effort to propagate itself.
Dan V liked this
By Cross
Yeah I'd definitely cut the stalk and raise the plant

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

By Sundew grower
Panman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:57 pm That is planted way too deeply. It will continue to struggle to produce traps. The flower stalk may be a list ditch effort to propagate itself.
Yeah, it's a little division that came off a larger plant this year. I didn't originally plant it that deep but we've had several rain storms recently and it washed some of the soil over it. It might be hard to tell by the picture but this plant is very small, about the size of a quarter.
By Cross
Sundew grower wrote:
Panman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:57 pm That is planted way too deeply. It will continue to struggle to produce traps. The flower stalk may be a list ditch effort to propagate itself.
Yeah, it's a little division that came off a larger plant this year. I didn't originally plant it that deep but we've had several rain storms recently and it washed some of the soil over it. It might be hard to tell by the picture but this plant is very small, about the size of a quarter.
That's what I hate about peat. I swear you look at it and the plant gets buried and dirty.

By MikeB
Cross wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 pm That's what I hate about peat. I swear you look at it and the plant gets buried and dirty.
That's why I recommend putting a top-cover (LFSM, pine straw, or sand) on every pot that sits under the open sky.
By Cross
MikeB wrote:
Cross wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 pm That's what I hate about peat. I swear you look at it and the plant gets buried and dirty.
That's why I recommend putting a top-cover (LFSM, pine straw, or sand) on every pot that sits under the open sky.
I try to use sphagnum moss all the time now. It's easier to water too

By Sundew grower
Cross wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 pm
Sundew grower wrote:
That's what I hate about peat. I swear you look at it and the plant gets buried and dirty.

Peat is usually fine for anything larger than a quarter. Unless it really pours. I would top dress with sphagnum but I just really don't have an easy way to get it.
By Cross
Sundew grower wrote:
Cross wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 pm
Sundew grower wrote: Yeah, it's a little division that came off a larger plant this year. I didn't originally plant it that deep but we've had several rain storms recently and it washed some of the soil over it. It might be hard to tell by the picture but this plant is very small, about the size of a quarter.

Peat is usually fine for anything larger than a quarter. Unless it really pours. I would top dress with sphagnum but I just really don't have an easy way to get it.
You know, I found orchid moss at Lowes. I got it for my orchids. When I got home to really look at it, I don't think they're are any additives. I think it's just sphagnum moss. You might have it and it might just be usable. I haven't used it for them... cause orchids.

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!