FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Kevin01
Hello Flytrap forums :)
Are there any carnivorous plants that do okay in semi-bright lights, not quite southern windowsill, but close to it? My two nepenthes seem very happy with it, and I want to know if other cps will like the not-so-intense lights aswell
By DragonsEye
I would suggest D. adelae.
tommyr liked this
By tommyr
Kevin01 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:37 pm Hello Flytrap forums :)
Are there any carnivorous plants that do okay in semi-bright lights, not quite southern windowsill, but close to it? My two nepenthes seem very happy with it, and I want to know if other cps will like the not-so-intense lights aswell
Drosera schizandra, Drosera prolifera, Drosera andromeda and Drosera Adelae would be good. The first 3 love high humidity though.
By Kevin01
Thank you all! I'll keep an eye out for the mentioned species, might be lucky enough to find them at the local plant store
By Sundews69
Kevin01 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:32 pm Thank you all! I'll keep an eye out for the mentioned species, might be lucky enough to find them at the local plant store
Drosera schizandra and andromeda are still fairly uncommon in cultivation and I very hightly doubt you will ever find those locally. Prolifera, while more common than schizandra and andromeda, is rare enough that you probably won't find it locally either. I believe I heard that someone found an adelae at a store recently but it was a hitchhiker to a VFT.

Schizandra is known for being very picky and difficult. Andromeda (which is a hybrid between schizandra and prolifera) and prolifera less so, but still not super easy either. Adelae would be your best bet. If you want you can certainly look for them locally but if you don't find any you can get one online from this place. I personally think they have the best price for the size of plant they send.

If you want to grow the other species or hybrid mentioned, make sure you do lots and lots of research on them.
tommyr liked this
By Norcrossnotgeorgia
Hey! I know this post is like a month old, but I have a bunch of D. Prolifera. I have probably 6 or 8 plantlets that I started from leaf pulls a few months back. They should be large enough to survive shipping in a week or two (I think), and I’d be happy to give you one if you’re still interested in trying them out. Very easy in an enclosed container, in my experience. I grow one in a glass candy jar with a lid, and it’s flowering all over the place right now. I kind of ignore it entirely and it goes nuts. PM me and I’ll mail you one 🙂.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!