FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By WhitePanther93
So I’m setting up a vivarium that so far has an assortment of tropical sundew plants. I was looking to add some other non carnivorous plants to along with my sundews I’m just unsure of what kind of plants can survive in the same kind of conditions as my sundews. The substrate is 1:1 peat moss and silica sand. And the container is just a 5 gallon
CB9258EA-4D9D-4F2B-83FB-DA23E69A1FB3.jpeg
CB9258EA-4D9D-4F2B-83FB-DA23E69A1FB3.jpeg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 3533 times
I also have plans to add springtails and maybe isopods. I’m not sure if isopods are particularly compatible with carnivorous plants.
By Bug_cemetery
I’m curious too! Anyone have suggestions for high light and small space? I have a similar setup. Asparagus fern just burned and needs to be replaced with something else.
By DragonsEye
WhitePanther93 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:21 am So I’m setting up a vivarium that so far has an assortment of tropical sundew plants. I was looking to add some other non carnivorous plants to along with my sundews I’m just unsure of what kind of plants can survive in the same kind of conditions as my sundews. The substrate is 1:1 peat moss and silica sand. And the container is just a 5 gallon CB9258EA-4D9D-4F2B-83FB-DA23E69A1FB3.jpeg
I also have plans to add springtails and maybe isopods. I’m not sure if isopods are particularly compatible with carnivorous plants.
How much light and what is the air circulation like?

I will tell you NOT to do any ferny ferns. They love such conditions and would quickly try to stage a coup, taking over the entire demense.
By WhitePanther93
I’m planing on putting this :

Yescom 225 White LEDs Grow Light Ultrathin Panel Hydroponics Indoor Plant Veg Flower Lamp for Growing Room Tent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015YX8ZF4/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Over it.

As for air flow, probably not a lot as the only source of air movement in my room is my ceiling fan.
Last edited by WhitePanther93 on Tue May 24, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By specialkayme
I haven't had any issue with ferns in my terrarium. Got some of these https://www.etsy.com/listing/635043779/ ... ch_click=1. They like it in there, and grow well. Nothing a pair of scissors every 3 months can't fix though.

I also have a fair amount of sphagnum moss. Grows well, provided the humidity is good. Lately I've found I need to trim back my moss more frequently than I need to trim back the ferns, lol.

Small orchids often work well too. They typically like the growing conditions (temperature, light, humidity) that most carnivorous plants enjoy.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!