FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Jaks128
Hi
I’m new to growing flycatchers. I’ve always wanted one. I think they are amazing, I live in the Uk. I have only had mine for a few weeks. Mine is sitting on the windowsill at the moment. When we get better weather I will sit it outside.
I’m a bit worried about it as some of the ends has be started to look dry. There are loads of new shoots coming up. It sits in a saucer of water n the landing. Gets plenty of light. Topped up by water from our butt in the garden. Wondering if it needs to go in the conservatory. When it gets better weather I was going to put it outside. Does it look ok you you!!
Attachments:
89C33931-710D-4F80-9F4C-BB903F67ADB3.jpeg
89C33931-710D-4F80-9F4C-BB903F67ADB3.jpeg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1016 times
3C7A22FA-6476-4377-A9C2-B3BF0D42D699.jpeg
3C7A22FA-6476-4377-A9C2-B3BF0D42D699.jpeg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 1016 times
Camden liked this
By Intheswamp
First thing is welcome to the forum! Great to have you on board...new blood is always good! (At least that's what the plants say!<g>)

Terminology 101: When you mentioned "flycatcher" in your introduction I visualized a venus flytrap while I was waiting for my slow internet to download the images. Once I saw it I realized you were talking about a sarracenia...or "pitcher plant". Cool plants! ;)

Your specimen is a very nice one. You definitely want to take care of that beauty. Having said that, I'm a newbie, just having started enjoying carnivorous plants this past summer. What I do know from some of the experienced growers here is that pitchers need lots and lots and lots of light and then a little more light. The other thing they need is lots of water...people grow these in just about the wettest conditions of any other carnivorous plant. Often growers will have the pots sitting in deep saucers in water an inch or more deep (sometimes several inches deep). They also have a need for dormancy, where the pitchers die back in the winter for a while and then start regrowing. Dormancy is tricky...a cool dark place usually works well. We're talking 40-60 degree F.

This is my newbie-thoughts about your plant:

Looking at your plant it is a healthy looking plant. The northern hemisphere is in winter at the moment, yet this plant is looks like it is growing and not thinking of dormancy. It makes me think it came from a greenhouse where it was beneath lights(?).

The plant is sitting in a windowsill...to you and me it looks like a lot of light but I'm pretty sure this is inadequate light for a either a pitcher plant or a venus flytrap, but would work ok for some sundews. A *good* grow light would do wonders for the plant while it is actively growing inside. This summer definitely have it outside in as much sun as possible.

I think I see some water in the bottom of the saucer that it's sitting in. For periods of active growing I would want at least an inch of water in the saucer. BUT, during periods of dormancy, which I think it should be in right now(?), you only want to keep the plant's soil moist and not soggy. During the summer when it's rapidly growing keep it soggy and don't let it dry out. It growing so well at this time tends to confuse me on what to tell you to do. Hopefully one of the experienced guys will respond and correct my errors and give you some good recommendations.

As for the dry-looking leaf tips...it may be thinking about going into dormancy. Or, it could be from the traveling shock...from moving from its old environment to its new one and its needing some time to adjust. Leaves will naturally die off over time, just like they do on other plants. New growth coming on makes me think its healthy...as long as the new growth doesn't start looking bad.

Like I said...give it lots and lots and lots of light, keep in wet during its active growing period, give it dormancy. And most of all, have fun! Welcome to the forum!
Camden liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!