FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By rsprader85
Hey y’all. So, I kinda dove in head first with becoming a VFT person. I bought a starter plant from the store and even got a bag of seeds to try my hand at germination.

I used two separate pots, one filled with a peat moss and perlite mixture and the other with sphagnum moss.

Well, the peat moss REALLY took off and gave me a great germination rate. Nearly all the seeds I planted in it sprouted, while I managed to only get one with the sphagnum moss.

My concern is, now that I have all of these new sprouts coming in, they’re eventually going to get crowded in the little pot I chose to plant them in. Any advice on how long I should let them grow before I transplant them into something more spacious?
2EDCF8E8-E004-41C6-9CD8-D984A213205F.jpeg
2EDCF8E8-E004-41C6-9CD8-D984A213205F.jpeg (4.46 MiB) Viewed 3228 times
Dan V liked this
By Sundews69
They can be in there together for the next couple years. When they are fighting for space against each other, then you can transplant them.
By Cross
Aw babies. As Mentone previously, leave them there for a while. Until they're competing for space should you them move them.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

By Intheswamp
@rsprader85, to help me get a size-perception of the seedlings...what diameter pot are those in? Congrats on the successful germination!!!!! :D
By Intheswamp
@Carnies, Thanks for the info! I re-potted and divided some Wallyworld rescues this afternoon and found some of those tiny ones. Everything that was green and had a root got planted! ;)
Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!