FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
A couple of my plants which are fully acclimated to my outdoor growing conditions are having black traps growing.

It looks like possible mineral burn, but it isn’t affecting any of my other flytraps and I use relatively low (55-65 PPM) well water. Any idea what might be causing this?

Big Mouth is restarting from the acclimated rhizome of the father plant. I have also had Trichterfalle since dormancy.
Big Mouth
Big Mouth
BE132ED4-FCCD-4413-B6CD-CCD369BC3DBC.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 953 times
Trichterfalle
Trichterfalle
41595FFE-764C-4C2D-8535-AD8C508A661E.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 953 times
Trichterfalle
Trichterfalle
5046D0CD-D84E-4F96-96CF-BAFEFC60093D.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 953 times
By ChefDean
If it's only affecting one plant, and everything about their care is the same as your other plants, it's unlikely to be mineral burn. Maybe that spot gets less/more airflow. Maybe that spot gets light reflected off a window so it gets hotter. Maybe those plants have a mutation in their genetics that just make them weaker. Sometimes it just happens without an obvious reason.
I have a few VFT's doing the same thing, I can't explain it. The last VFT I bought from FTS actually had two small plants and they got planted side by side in the same pot. One has taken off, the other will grow leaves that has the traps blacken and die well before they open. It's still green, so it can still photosynthesize, but I'm concerned for dormancy. Same cultivar, same pot, same media, same tray, same water, same lighting, same airflow; everything exactly the same, but one is struggling.
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
ChefDean wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:35 am The last VFT I bought from FTS actually had two small plants and they got planted side by side in the same pot. One has taken off, the other will grow leaves that has the traps blacken and die well before they open. It's still green, so it can still photosynthesize, but I'm concerned for dormancy. Same cultivar, same pot, same media, same tray, same water, same lighting, same airflow; everything exactly the same, but one is struggling.
For sure. These 2 (big mouth/Trichterfalle) were ironically the ones that struggled the most during dormancy and almost died, so I’ll keep a close eye and see if it gets any better.

One side note though, the Trichterfalle is still acting as though it is dormant. It keeps putting out new traps, but other than that it’s traps are extremely slow and it looks a lot like a typical other than very slight scaling and one fused “U” trap.

From what I remember, one quarter teaspoon per gal[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!