FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
I bought these two Sundews from a grower in this community and they were doing fine and were acclimating slow to their new environment. However, their tentacles never grew to their natural size and I made sure they were getting strong 12+ hours of light from their grow light. Earlier this month, I took notice that the Betty's Bay Sundew was losing all tentacles and wouldn't grow, the Bavi Sundew wouldn't grow either.

I started to believe the grow light I bought in March wasn't strong enough for them and for my Cobra Lily, which had new pitchers that grew abnormal. I went on Amazon and bought a 4 pack of 40W Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Bulbs for indoor plants, which is 10 wats stronger than the previous bulb. I tried it from earlier this month until now and for my Cobra Lily, it's starting to improve, but my Sundews are the same :cry:

I keep them bagged so they have 90-100% humidity every day, I water them once a week, and the only change I did was getting a stronger bulb. I would have grown them outside with my VFTS, but they haven't been acclimated and with my job now being first shift, I won't be able to have them outside only in the mornings and prevent them from burning up or going in shock. The temps for this week is going in the 90s, so I can't have them outside anyway.

Any suggestions would be helpful! I will say I moved them at my east facing bay window as a last resort since it's actual real light that hopefully they can benefit from and it's not too late. These are definitely the hardest plants for me to keep healthy and happy. I appreciate your time reading this and for any advice or help you give. Thank you!
Attachments:
sundewbavi.PNG
sundewbavi.PNG (394.98 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
sundewbettysbay.PNG
sundewbettysbay.PNG (317.25 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
By StephenB200+
Something similar happened to my Capensis and Scorpiodes. The Spring and early Summer had temps bouncing around in the 40s then to 90s then back to 50s. I moved them indoors under artificial light and stable temp. They bounced back after about three weeks. I hope yours did too.

I think I am just going to keep them as house pets. :roll:

quote=septembersapphire21 post_id=416816 time=1658104093 user_id=50031]
I bought these two Sundews from a grower in this community and they were doing fine and were acclimating slow to their new environment. However, their tentacles never grew to their natural size and I made sure they were getting strong 12+ hours of light from their grow light. Earlier this month, I took notice that the Betty's Bay Sundew was losing all tentacles and wouldn't grow, the Bavi Sundew wouldn't grow either.

I started to believe the grow light I bought in March wasn't strong enough for them and for my Cobra Lily, which had new pitchers that grew abnormal. I went on Amazon and bought a 4 pack of 40W Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Bulbs for indoor plants, which is 10 wats stronger than the previous bulb. I tried it from earlier this month until now and for my Cobra Lily, it's starting to improve, but my Sundews are the same :cry:

I keep them bagged so they have 90-100% humidity every day, I water them once a week, and the only change I did was getting a stronger bulb. I would have grown them outside with my VFTS, but they haven't been acclimated and with my job now being first shift, I won't be able to have them outside only in the mornings and prevent them from burning up or going in shock. The temps for this week is going in the 90s, so I can't have them outside anyway.

Any suggestions would be helpful! I will say I moved them at my east facing bay window as a last resort since it's actual real light that hopefully they can benefit from and it's not too late. These are definitely the hardest plants for me to keep healthy and happy. I appreciate your time reading this and for any advice or help you give. Thank you!
[/quote]
By Gary
When I first got my Capensis back in March, I was careful about the acclimation from N. Cal to AZ. It was droopy and pale for weeks, no dew, no new leaves. I bagged it, misted it (not good), tried everything I could think of. Set it in a south-facing window etc. This went on for a few weeks.
After I started putting outside it improved drastically. Lots of new growth, the dew came back, it grew a flower stalk (it faded a bit until it finished with the flowering). Summer temps in central AZ are in the 90s but it didn't seem to affect it. My VFTs and Sarrs love it, too.
It's in a 3" pot in a small tray with about an inch of distilled water at all times. I don't do any top watering.

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!