FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Orit
I live just outside Denver, where the winter temps often linger in the teens or below, so I can't just leave my plants outside over their dormancy. My garage and shed are too dark, and there is no longer room indoors on the windowsills (where it's too warm, anyway) for my rapidly growing collection. My yard isn't nearly large enough for a greenhouse, but I need to figure out some way to keep my VFTs outside and protected from freezing. I looked at several small, plastic-covered mini-greenhouses on Amazon, but I doubt they'd be enough to protect my plants over the winter. I'd heard of using hot water bottles, but I don't know that would be enough, either. I'd like to avoid electric or fuel-burning heat sources, but I'd also like to prevent my plants from dying back all the way, even if they'd come back the next spring.

Can anyone suggest a small option that would be sufficient to protect VFTs from extended sub-freezing temps? I've heard they can withstand temps below freezing for a short period, but no specifics regarding how much time at what temperature range is survivable. I would love to hear how others' plants handle such cold. I have 9 planted in a 12x12 Styrofoam container, but the others (currently 7 with many more babies on the way) are in regular FTS plastic cups and in more danger of freezing through when winter comes.

My in-laws salvaged a large Styrofoam cooler for me (pictured), which is large enough to accommodate both the plants in the Styrofoam container and the ones in individual cups, and I'm wondering if some sort of plastic enclosure over that would be enough. The lid is deep enough to fit over the plants in the other container sticking out of the top, so I'm considering just cutting out the top and covering it in a thick plastic sheet. I would really appreciate any advice regarding what to do, what temperature ranges are tolerable for long periods, and whether any of these options would be suitable, especially overnight. I am happy to bring my plants inside when the temps get too extreme, but hopefully not every single night all winter long. It's really hard not to keep buying more and more plants (I'm sure many of you can relate), but I need to make sure I can give them a good dormancy when the time comes. Thank you all for your advice!
Attachments:
cooler.jpg
cooler.jpg (148.24 KiB) Viewed 4299 times
By boarderlib
My advice is stick them in the garage. Once the plant is dormant it doesn't need light to survive. I had mine in a fridge all last winter and they did fine for two plus months. They came out a little etoliated but nothing that couldn't be remedied with a little sun.

VFT's will tolerate freezes just fine. Mine have tolerated down to 26°F. The two killers are the freeze drying winds, and constant freeze/thaw cycles. If I recall correctly another member here has had theirs down to 20°F with no ill effects.

I've also heard pine needle mulch works as a good top insulator for growing outside in cold climates, though I've never done it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Orit
Well, that's a big surprise to me! I'd read about fridge dormancy but somehow never thought they'd survive in a dark garage with no sun. Maybe I could clear off some space and set them up with a grow light on a timer, if that's advantageous?

Thank you both for presenting an easy option I hadn't even considered!

This is a high desert climate where temleratures always drop significantly at night (at least 20-30 degrees below daytime highs) so a constant freeze/thaw cycle would definitely be a concern. I'd expect the average December - January night to fall below 20. The attached garage would definitely help smooth that out.
Last edited by Orit on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cjpflaumer
Orit wrote:Well, that's a big surprise to me! I'd read about fridge dormancy but somehow never thought they'd survive in a dark garage with no sun. Maybe I could clear off some space and set them up with a grow light on a timer, if that's advantageous?

Thank you both for presenting an easy option I hadn't considered!
In your garage and with a grow light with timer would be ideal. I know you said you wanted to avoid electrical consumers but depending on how many plants/lights we are talking about it probably wouldn't be very noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Last edited by cjpflaumer on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjpflaumer liked this
By Orit
I wasn't clear, but my concern was more over starting a fire than energy consumption. I assume that's not likely with grow lights since so many of you use them regularly indoors. I know nothing about grow lights. How many, how far up, and what do I need to buy? My entire current VFT collection is in the picture, excluding babies just coming up from flower stalk propagation and a lot of seeds I'm about to sow, but those could still fit on a windowsill inside. It may not look like much, but I love these plants and spent a lot acquiring them, and I want to give them the best care I can.

Since I only had 2 plants last winter, they did just fine on the windowsill. My collection of Sundews acquired this year (none of which are cold hardy or require dormancy) will be taking up most of that space this time around, though.
By boarderlib
An added light would only help, as they would need less acclimation back to the sun. I would recommend any astrological timer though, that way you can keep your plants synched with the sun.

boarderlib liked this
By cjpflaumer
Orit wrote:I wasn't clear, but my concern was more over starting a fire than energy consumption. I assume that's not likely with grow lights since so many of you use them regularly indoors. I know nothing about grow lights. How many, how far up, and what do I need to buy? My entire current VFT collection is in the picture, excluding babies just coming up from flower stalk propagation and a lot of seeds I'm about to sow, but those could still fit on a windowsill inside. It may not look like much, but I love these plants and spent a lot acquiring them, and I want to give them the best care I can.

Since I only had 2 plants last winter, they did just fine on the windowsill. My collection of Sundews acquired this year (none of which are cold hardy or require dormancy) will be taking up most of that space this time around, though.
I understand. I have good success with sunblaster t5ho's (amazon) as well as good success with cheap t8's with "daylight" spectrum bulbs, 6500k. Those I get at Wal-Mart. I think with your collection size you could probably get away with a 2 ft light but that's an estimate. Feel free to ask any other questions regarding a light. I grow most plants outside but I have tropical plants and propagation under lights.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
cjpflaumer liked this
By Orit
thank you, it's overwhelming to a novice, so having a recommended product is incredibly helpful. i found "Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 2-Feet" for around $40 on amazon that looks like it would have everything i need. we have a counter in the garage with overhead cabinets, so i can set the plants there (once i clear it of my husband's junk) and install the lights underneath the cabinets.

a few more questions... for some reason, most of my plants are not as colorful as they should be, despite getting pretty much full, high altitude (which is STRONG) sun. for example, purple ambush, Megatraps, and Jaws currently have hints of light pink at best. i also wonder if this could be a reflection of poorer health. will this help some color develop when used? how high above the plants should the light be? and is there a risk of the light starting a fire when installed against a wooden cabinet? i realize I'm probably a bit paranoid, but worth asking.

thank you again, I'm extremely grateful for the help!
By boarderlib
Some cultivars don't color up all that much, Megatraps being one that doesn't. Mine gets hints of pink in it and that's about it. Feeding will effect the coloring as well. A well fed plant won't have the traps open long enough to color up. The season will effect the coloring as well.

boarderlib liked this
By Orit
Megatraps was soooo beautiful when I got it. I guess I shouldn't be comparing my results with Matt and Leah's. Your plants are beyond gorgeous so if yours isn't bright red, i won't feel bad.

The more I read up on grow lights, the more I'm afraid I will burn my house down. The backing behind those cabinets is something between compressed wood and corkboard. Combined with the heat from the lamp and the single-digit winter humidity, it sounds like it might be a recipe for disaster. Thank you all again for the advice. I'm relieved having a plan.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!