FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
The first plant is S.Maroon “The confusing one”. I went to a site called valentine and i purchased a S.purpurea. When I got it it had a label with a S.moorei in the background and it said “yellow pitcher plant” which I think it means S.flava if I am correct. At the first glance I knew it was not a purpurea but a hybrid. It was a small rhizome with a lot of growth points and the whole plant was green. I could not identify it if it was a S.maroon or a S.barba. It was planted in a tiny 2 inch x 2 inch pot in weird moss. I immediately transplanted it in the 4 year old sphagnum moss that I flushed and put it in this white pot. After some weird phylodia pitcher hybrid leafs I finally identified as S.maroon.
By Barlapipas 6
Also the 4 vft seedlings are in the same pot with S.maroon. They are the last survivors from my old plants.
By Barlapipas 6
The second plants are the vfts in the grey pot. They don’t have much of a backstory. I bought them from flower exhibition because they had deep red traps, and red cilia. They were planted in a small pot but not a lot smaller than the grey pot. The media was just peat. Now they grow in the same peat but with some 4 year old sphagnum moss and they are a lot more green than before. In the next growing season I will transplant the vfts and S.maroon in the same big pots as that of S.purpurea.
By Barlapipas 6
Attachments:
before
before
9272BA73-1272-434F-AB2A-9D48B0779F4B.jpeg (689.1 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
By Barlapipas 6
Attachments:
now
now
5227B049-06AD-441A-9EAB-31FD2D9986A8.jpeg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2221 times
By Barlapipas 6
the colour change is propably from the extreme heat at the day and the warm nights.
By Barlapipas 6
The third plant is S.purpurea “The hardened one”. I purchased it from the same store that i got the fake CP soil. When i got it it was in a very small black pot but the plant itself looked healthy and kinda big. Then I flushed the pot and tested the tds in the water. The result was 500-600ppm!!! I was very surprised how it was so healthy looking in that soil (it was just peat). I immediately flushed it as much as i could until the tds dropped to 30. The next day i inspected it more closely and it had a very deformed pitcher with a lot of aphids on it. I cut off the pitcher and dropped it through the balcony. Then i killed all the other aphids that were hiding one by one. I killed them all eventually. The new problem was that the next pitchers was also deformed and I didn’t know why. So I inspected even closer to the 2 crowns of the plant and saw some white and fast thrips running down in the splits. I saw some in the S.maroon too. I could not catch one by one because the were to fast and too smart unlike aphids, so I was spraying with just distilled water to the whole plants so I could drown the thrips. I did it every day. It seemed to work but I was seeing some thrips over time for over a month. Eventually I think I drowned them all. After all this hard work the heat was rising and S.purpurea was overheating and stopped growing leafs. So i purchased sphagnum moss and slip potted it in this white much more bigger pot. After a week it started growing pitchers again. But not for long. After a few pitchers it stopped again but I think for a good reason this time. It seems that it is focusing on producing roots. I think this is because 1) the first pot was tiny in comparison with the white pot and 2) i saw roots growing from the side of the rhizome and the plant hooked itself a lot to the media. Now it just started growing pitchers again.
By Intheswamp
Thanks for the back-story of your plants. The dedication and attention that you've shown them definitely has paid off as they appear nice and healthy! And even with a shortage of resources, such as good growing mix, etc., you've done well. Very encouraging! Thanks again for sharing!
By Barlapipas 6
Oh no! I just saw some white tiny bugs propably spider mites in the skits of the crown of S.purpurea :( . What can I do to get rid of them forever? I saw just 2 and killed them but I know there are more. If I spray everyday with distilled water to the crowns will I kill them all? Because this is what I did all the time and it seemed to work.
By Intheswamp
I don’t know what to tell you. Hopefully someone will provide some good info for you!
By Sundews69
If you could provide pictures, that could help us confirm it is spider mites. Then we could share how to appropriately treat the plant.
By Barlapipas 6
Update: It seems that i got rid of the pests (they were some kind of mite) with just spraying the whole plants with distilled water every day.
Intheswamp liked this
By Barlapipas 6
S.maroon: It grows nicely without getting bigger or smaller. It is only getting more compacted and produces a lot of nectar. The 4 FVT seedlings grow with it in the same pot. The only weird thing it’s that I measured the tds in the pot and the result was 21. Before spaying it every day with water, the tds were 9. My theory is that the dust and the nectar got washed off from the leafs and then they went to the media.
Intheswamp liked this
By Barlapipas 6
Attachments:
B2D4C89E-DE0B-4851-9EE8-86370BC69AED.jpeg
B2D4C89E-DE0B-4851-9EE8-86370BC69AED.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 2057 times
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!