FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
I just went to Lowe's and if you were following my previous thread, you'll know they were not-very-typical typicals. I got a red dragon look-alike and a dente look-alike. You'll also know I said they were in lfsm. They are not. I think it's coco coir, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Is it anything to worry about?
Weird soil I think is coco coir
Weird soil I think is coco coir
20220604_195612.jpg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 2993 times
My dente look-alikes
My dente look-alikes
20220604_201716.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 2993 times
My red dragon look-alike
My red dragon look-alike
20220604_201636.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 2993 times
By ChefDean
It is suggested that, unless you know that the media is correct, you immediately repot deathcubes into known correct media.
While coco coir is an acceptable media, you 1. Already questioned what this may be. And 2. Coir is known to hold salts, and requires extra care to make sure those salts are gone.
I would recommend repotting them into peat or LFSM so you don't have to change their names in the near future to the VFT's formerly known as look-alikes of Dente and Red Dragon.
By Sundews69
Carnies wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:26 am Yea, looks like coco coir. I'd replace just to be safe. Peat+sand/perlite or pure sphagnum.
ChefDean wrote:It is suggested that, unless you know that the media is correct, you immediately repot deathcubes into known correct media.
While coco coir is an acceptable media, you 1. Already questioned what this may be. And 2. Coir is known to hold salts, and requires extra care to make sure those salts are gone.
I would recommend repotting them into peat or LFSM so you don't have to change their names in the near future to the VFT's formerly known as look-alikes of Dente and Red Dragon.
Ok, thanks. I'm out of town so I'll get them in peat/perlite (Or would sand be best?) when I get home. Should I divide apart all of the little baby dente flytraps? Or should I wait for them to mature a bit to divide them?
By WONE
Another possibility is that it is the cool kid stuff(Big commercial growers) Hydrafiber®.

Last time I checked, they said they'd have the stuff out to consumers soon, but I kinda doubt they will.

Well, I just checked their website and what a copout. It's available blended into certain consumer potting soil brands, but not as a standalone product 🤬😑

I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine seal[…]

Not what you would expect...

Right now I'm in the process of trying to thwart[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!