FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Joshua09
Hello, newbie here, I have a Nepenthes ??? plant. I have a little seedling. After I acclimated it, the leaves grew big. And have algae in the sphagnum moss, maybe I put a lot of water. I don't know what species I have grown but maybe alata or ventricosa because the seller did not know if this is alata or ventricosa :| (I think he forgot what species he grows). I have to figure it out myself when it grows big. If you do know this species, please answer me.
By Bluefire
Ooh yeah, that's really small. All Nepenthes begin like that, with small, green, generic pitchers. It takes a while for any notable characteristics to show, but it will be worth the wait (or at least mine have, don't know how "worth it" things are for different people).
By Bluefire
Supercazzola wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:46 pm Not all. I’ve got some seedlings that are under a year with red, speckled pitchers.
Huh interesting.
Well, I guess *a lot* works better then. I feel very humbled in this forum because I keep winding up being wrong. That, though, I should have caught, I have a seedling about 2 years old that's got red spots.
By Nepenthes0260
As other have said, it's very hard to tell at such a young age. However, I'm going to guess it's a ventrata, just because of how commonly that mass-produced hybrid is distributed. Not to mention, the vast majority of "alatas" sold are in fact ventrata (which is now not even believed to have alata in its parentage, being some iteration or back-cross of the very similar graciliflora and ventricosa instead).
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!