FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cnrose
Sarracenia don’t natively grow where I live, and I’ve never seen any carnivorous plants in the wild before, so while I was on the east coast for work I made sure to try and find some in a nearby national forest yesterday!

I parked next to a promising area (near a reported Sarracenia minor sighting on iNaturalist), walked around for 20 minutes with no luck, and headed back to my car - I was about to give up and get in when I spotted this Sarracenia minor right by where I parked, just across the roadside seepage area!

I got my shoes absolutely SOAKED and had a big spider decide she wanted to climb my arm while I was trying to take pictures, but it was worth it!

ChefDean, Intheswamp, Supercazzola and 6 others liked this
By Panman
It is so exciting whenever you see them in the wild. I've seenots of different ones, but I still get the same thrill every time. I caught a view of a pond full of utricularia flowers as we were cruising down the interstate and almost had to stop and check it out.
By cnrose
Panman wrote:It is so exciting whenever you see them in the wild. I've seenots of different ones, but I still get the same thrill every time. I caught a view of a pond full of utricularia flowers as we were cruising down the interstate and almost had to stop and check it out.
Utricularia macrorhiza, gibba, subulata, and minor are the native carnivores in my state! I’m hoping to get some friends to do a little field trip to find some. I hope we get as lucky as you and manage to spot blooms from the road!
Panman liked this
By nimbulan
Yeah you definitely want some special footwear for looking at wetland plants like these. I just explored a Sphagnum island covered in Darlingtonia and Drosera rotundifolia on Sunday and water shoes were an absolute must for that. In Sarracenia habitats I think people tend to prefer rubber boots or something like that to protect against bug bites.
By Panman
nimbulan wrote:In Sarracenia habitats I think people tend to prefer rubber boots or something like that to protect against bug bites.
and water moccasins, and copperheads, and timber rattlers, and ...
By cnrose
Panman wrote:
nimbulan wrote:In Sarracenia habitats I think people tend to prefer rubber boots or something like that to protect against bug bites.
And all the spiders that think you’re a big tree they can climb up. I think I had my arachnophobia forced out of me with how many spiders came to say hi
Panman liked this
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:49 pm
leeches, and ticks, and chiggers.

Along the southeast and Gulf coasts, you learn real quick to keep back from larger, deeper bodies of water, lest you attract the attention of the resident gators.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!